Chapter 20: Run, Cameron, Run

Cameron had been a friend to the Douglas children since he was eight. At some point in their friendship, Ibis had taken to giving the boys nicknames. Milangelo was shortened to Milang and Cameron was shortened to Camen.

He was ten years old when he found out that his father had made a deal with some bad people, and the reason he found out is because he was hiding away behind a wall, while he listened to the conversation as two thuggish figures continued to intimidate his father, as his father pleaded with them to give him time, promising them that success is not instant.

"Our employer has no time for a worm like you," said one of the men.

"If your little running track becomes unprofitable, our employer will have to... dispose of it," said the other.

"He's not the type to let a failing business besmirch his good name. So you and this stadium will disappear."

Cameron was not a particularly athletic boy, and indeed, running was not a strong suit of his. This disappointed his father, who made sure to voice it.

Cameron had finished a lap in perhaps the slowest time of anyone his age. He tried to catch his breath.

"What was that, son?" asked his father.

"I can't, dad, I can't..."

"Not with that attitude, you can't." He kneeled down and looked into his son's eyes.

"Son, look at me. You can. I know you can. Your mother was the fastest runner I've ever met. There's greatness in you."

"But was mum a great runner at ten years old?"

"I don't know, son, but you... I know that you can."

"How do you know?"

"Don't ask questions, please. I know because I have no-one else left. I want to see you run. I want you to be the best. And if it were up to me, your name would be Can Run."

"Okay, dad. I'll try, for you."

That was the day before he had found himself inches away from two men who were threatening to destroy the stadium and kill his father.

The next day, Milangelo and Ibis paid him a visit. He did not want to bother them with his problems as they had seemed so happy. So he pretended as if nothing happened.

He continued to listen in on the conversations that these men would have with his father. He was able to discover that the stadium had been owned by a third party for several months now. This third party – whose identity remained a secret – only wanted the best, and if this stadium did not start living up to its once great reputation, it would be torn down and replaced with something that would be more profitable.

Cameron tried his best to improve at running; he felt that he had to. But he had his doubts. He was not built for it, he was not an athletic child.

The next time he saw Milangelo and Ibis, he told them the truth, and to his surprise, they offered to help. They then left and promised to meet him tomorrow. They kept their word, though they did have to apologise to Jordan for sneaking out.

Milangelo told Cameron about a book that he read. The book explained that it is possible to become stronger than your physical body will allow. Cameron had questions, and Milangelo did his best to answer them. As they talked, Ibis looked at them and smiled.

Over the next three days, Milangelo and Cameron would train, as the thugs began to organise and prepare to occupy the stadium. The first day, after they had a long talk about the strength multiplication techniques Milangelo had read about in a book, Cameron decided he needed to exercise his physical fitness. Milangelo offered to time his running laps, and so he did. The first few laps, Cameron was no better than before.