Chapter 60: Isaac Malevolo

In the centre of the Southern Ice Plains, a thick iron shed concealed the entrance to an underground labyrinth. In the midst of this labyrinth was a large office, where a shadowy figure sat in his chair and smiled.

He pushed a button on his desk and waited. Footsteps echoed throughout the underground structure. Moments later, a young woman showed up and saluted the man sitting in the chair. The man's smile dropped.

"I need a report, Miss Wright."

"Sir. The Gentleman's Club has accepted those loyal to Indigo without question. Permission to speak freely?"

"But of course, granted."

"What do you think this means sir?"

"It's obvious, isn't it? We're entering a new age. Of course, the times that I would intimidate the Gentleman's Club with threats are over, those times served their purpose.

"Everything I have done is in accordance with my plan. Indigo has never once come to stop me, which may mean that my success or failure will be my own, and the outcome is already decided. It may also mean that she will come for me soon.

"We're entering a new era, Miss Wright. One where the Club accepts their role in the future, one where new faces will rise up to challenge authority.

"What I doubt they are ready for, however, is me. I have been planning this for years. I am... Isaac Malevolo!"

"Sir, who are you speaking to? I know your name."

This frustrated Isaac somewhat. He furrowed his brow and explained that he was saying his own name for motivational purposes, as he was reaffirming his sense of self. The two continued to talk about it some more, before Isaac dismissed Miss Wright, and turned around in his chair.

Sarah Lee Olivia Wright was a woman in her early twenties, and she had only worked for Malevolo for three years. She first met the man while running from the police after murdering her brother over food. Isaac Malevolo admired her tenacity and her will to survive. She soon learned she was not alone.

Isaac Malevolo's network of ruffians, known as the Bluster Mob, were often said to be the rivals of the Gentleman's Club. Where the Club sought to free the world of the Global powers that controlled it, the Mob wished to prevent that. They did not work for the government, far from it, but their actions against the Club were beneficial. As such, Isaac had struck a secret agreement three years ago.

Isaac had met with Jupiter, whom he suspected had loyalties to Indigo, and so was surprised when she agreed to his terms. He and the Bluster Mob would get some degree of immunity from prosecution as long as they could prove that they were an effective counter to the Club. To some degree, they were one, but soon things would change. His plan was about to be set in motion.

Sarah sat at the table in the break room, across from four of her fellow mobsters. Looking from right to left, she took mental note of each of them. Firstly, Fraser Albert Stanley Total. A guy in his late thirties, tall, well-built, said to have killed a hundred people because a woman rejected him. Secondly, Gregory Nathan Andrew Wrong. A man whose age remained a mystery, though he appeared to be about Malevolo's age. He was the Mob's main hitman. Next, Patrick Allen Tobias Half. He was a former bodyguard, who lost his job after slicing his boss in half. He had tried to kill Isaac many times, but failed. He still had a place in the Mob because he was welcome there. Last, but not least, Catherine Hanna Edith Whole. She had an eye for gossip, and a tendency to stab people in the back.

As it happened, they all had four names... each spelling out a four-letter word. This made things convenient when it came to the matter of codewords. Miss Wright was 'Slow', Mister Total was 'Fast', Mister Wrong was 'Gnaw', Mister Half was 'Path', and Miss Whole was 'Chew'.