Chapter 29: Journey to the Hephaestus Sea

The months went by, and the Detective Pirates grew ever closer as a team. The crew got used to the idea of having an immortal fisherman accompanying them, as Patricia and Karnilla grew to trust their crewmates enough to talk about their past. This inspired a session wherein the crew shared their stories and it became clear what kind of person each of them was. This cleared the crew of any doubts about their cohesiveness as a team, and from that moment forward, they would be a team.

Everyone in the crew did not skimp on their training, and as a result, all of them became stronger for it. Crock reawakened some dormant potential, whilst James began learning seven-strength (though he was yet to master it). Milangelo increased his strength threshold so that he reached five-strength. Cameron, though hesitant of his ability to reach three-strength, realised that soon he might be able to unlock it. In the mean time, he became a much better shot with the bow and arrow, especially whilst moving around. Patricia attempted to understand the scope of her new Reveal powers, while Karnilla worked out how to use her Viper Chain for some deadly and unique techniques. Persimmon practiced his Flavour Fighting, and unlocked two-strength during his training. Brandon Black improved his fishing skills, though despite his training, stayed at around the same strength level.

It was the thirteenth of February, 4099, and a new chapter in the lives of the Detective Pirates was about to begin. However, as is often the case, the world seemed to move as well.

On an island in the middle of the Hephaestus Sea, a town was dealing with the aftermath of a volcanic eruption. In the market stalls, civilians bemoaned the loss of their fruits and vegetables to ash and molten rock. Through the distraught streets, a man who seemed dressed for a funeral walked. The one thing about him, however, that stood out, was his wavy, purple hair. It was so distinct, that not even a grieving merchant could look at it without wanting to laugh.

"Does my appearance please you, sir?" asked the man.

"You..." said the merchant, almost speechless, but finding the words in spite of himself. "You're Tristram Shandy, aren't you?"

"That is the crux of it, yes. The Million Dollar Gentleman, at your service. Now, was this a volcanic eruption? I had a cousin once who was fascinated by them. Then he got lost in a snowstorm. Frankly, I don't see the correlation."

"I didn't say that there was one."

"You didn't say anything, my merchant friend. And it's alright, you don't have to. You've been through a lot. I know what it's like to go through a lot. Anecdotally, of course. My grandfather invented the lot. Well, not really. He just likes to think he did. And we let him. Everybody's gotta have something, you know? My grandfather had nothing. Though, he used to have things, but age took them away. I wonder how age does that?"

This was Tristram Shandy's greatest talent, and greatest flaw: he would talk at length about the small things in life. He was easily distracted and had little to no interest in his own life. Every time a reporter would try to get his story, he would start strong, but quickly go off on tangents, becoming, quite by accident, notoriously enigmatic, yet endearing. It is for this reason, more than his wealth or charity, or any other reason, that he earned the moniker 'Million Dollar Gentleman'.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the island, a pirate known and feared throughout the Hephaestus, Redbeard, had landed.

"You, sir, is this the Isle of Mount Bastion?" he asked a man who was salvaging what he could from the wreckage of his house. "Just wanted to know."

The man nodded, due to having sustained an injury to his neck that prevented him from speaking.

"It's more polite to speak, but I can see you have an injury."