Chapter 2: A Claim to Fame

Summer is a time of great heat near the shores of Liandwood Bay, and there were two things that Milangelo Douglas had not counted on: 1) The hijacking of his brand new cruiser; and 2) The brilliant mind of the man who had hijacked it. He now had two choices of which both were equally appealing to him: go back to a life of comfort and familiarity, or join James on his quest for... whatever it was; he didn't really know.

It was a fairly smooth journey for the SS Psychic, and it reached the port of Darington, a few kilometres south of Liandwood Bay, not to be confused with Dalington, without any troubles. James made his way to the front of the deck, somber and fully aware that everyone aboard may very well depart. He had prepared for the outcome and had determined that it did not bother him. He got everyone's attention, and began the formal proceedings.

"Disembarkation at Darington will begin shortly. Everyone who wishes to leave, do so now. This will be your only opportunity to return to civilisation, and if you do not, then you resign to being a part of my pirate crew."

Meanwhile, in the cabins, the shy young man was with two young ladies.

"So what did you say your name was?" asked one.

"Cameron Miles," replied the young man.

"Do you really know the captain?" asked the other.

"He's a childhood friend of mine," answered Cameron.

"What was your childhood like?" asked the first one.

"It might have been great, but life isn't as black and white as all that. It's not fun to reminisce, if I'm being honest."

"Well, Cameron, my name is Patricia Neofoly, and this is my friend Karnilla Adams. If you want to talk about it, we'll listen."

"Thank you. Have you had hardships in your life?"

"We have, but that's a story for another day. Let's find some board games and drinks and have some fun."

The cruiser arrived at Darington as scheduled, and people began to disembark in large numbers. However, one man that James had expected to leave had not.

"Milangelo, I noticed that you have not left yet."

"Why do you ask? Do you want me to?" Milangelo asked.

"Relax. You could easily leave, considering that the damage you sustained is impermanent."

Milangelo gave a nervous chuckle. "I don't want to leave. This is my ship, regardless of who's captain. In fact, I have an idea for our first adventure."

James' eyes lit up. In another part of the ship, Cameron and his new friends were playing Oligopoly. The slogan on the box read "Let's face it, with everyone else here, you're never going to have a monopoly." It was Cameron's turn.

"I'm bored. Is there a pool nearby?" asked Karnilla.

"Yes, but I didn't bring anything for swimming," said Cameron.

"That's okay, we'll just go without clothes on," said Patricia.

"Pat, no! We'd be removed from the ship," said Karnilla.

"Relax, Kans, everyone's busy getting off the ship for some reason."

"Wait, why are they getting off the ship?" asked Cameron.

"Oh, it's because the ship got claimed by some outlaw," said Patricia, who paused for a moment, and then laughed.

"What is so funny, Pat?" asked Karnilla.