Chapter 3: The Journey Begins

If ever there were three words that could make even the most fantastic of voyages seem underwhelming, it would be the journey begins. It should also be noted that any variation of these words would have same effect. Regardless, it is an apt and unfalsifiable statement when applied to journeys that are indeed just beginning, such as that of the newly infamous Detective Pirates. Comprising of only six members, a cruiser valued at about thirty-seven million onits, and the fortune of former millionaire Milangelo Douglas.

The stunt at Alimony Bay resulted in James and Milangelo being recognised as credible threats to the government and the world at large. James was awarded a bounty of forty million onits, and Milangelo a bounty of ten million onits. This news brought them a small amount of satisfaction, as it was indicative of their notoriety. Milangelo was not entirely pleased, however, and made it known.

"Ten million? How does doing half the work result in a quarter of the notoriety? It should be equal."

"The thing is, the government has been on my tail for four years. They've wanted an excuse to put a bounty on my head, and stealing from your estate was just what they needed to justify the number they gave me. I would've received ten million, too, had it not been for my previous history."

"But how did you not have a bounty before?"

"I was living amongst civilians. The government never wants to soil their hands with any unnecessary casualties, and aren't the type to risk an adversary's attitude being the same."

"Right, it's because you're too strong for the average person to fight or capture."

"You're not wrong. I've spent years training my body in the most proficient martial arts of the time. I can go as far as four-strength with ease."

"Now I'm jealous. I've only managed to get to two-strength."

"They say the seas help the strong get stronger."

Milangelo and James continued to discuss the implications of their exploits for a little while longer. Meanwhile, Crock was at the helm, talking to Cameron. The young man had some reservations about their new lives. Crock assured him it would all work out in the end, for better or worse. Patricia and Karnilla were readily awaiting their first orders as crew members of a newly formed pirate crew.

James began the discussion that had earlier been promised: who was going to do what around the ship. Karnilla agreed to be the boatswain, Patricia to be the lookout, and Cameron to be the cannoneer. They agreed that any remaining jobs would be a shared duty, and then elected a quartermaster. To his surprise, the role went to Crock, who laughed heartily and said thanks to his fellow crew members.

"Okay, who can tell me where we're headed? Or better yet, who has a map and a compass?" asked James.

"Go ask Crock, he's the helmsman," said Milangelo.

James went into Crock's room and cleared his throat to make his presence known.

"Ah, captain. What might I help you with?" asked Crock.

"Where are we headed?"

"Oh, I've set a course for Burundi. Should be a good place to resupply. Their chief exports are fish and gunpowder."

"I know about Burundi. Never been there, so this should be interesting. Good food, clear waters, nice hotels, well if their marketing is to be believed."

"Will only take two days before we make landfall."

"That soon? This is a good ship."

"Yep, in all my time as a sailor, I've only seen one or two like her. Truly an impressive feat of engineering."