Chapter 26: Brothers

Three-thousand, three-hundred and ten years prior to the adventures of our protagonists, there lived two brothers named Brandon and Boris Black. They were twins, who had no-one else but each other in their small town. They lived in a town called Notably Small Town.

The people of this town did not like the brothers that much, and this was because their reputation preceded them. It began when they were teenagers, during the mayor's annual walk through town parade. They had run out on the street in front of the mayor, and after the mayor had lost his temper at them, they mocked him openly. Five years later, and their actions that day still lingered in the minds of the town, who thought of them as brats.

The two of them did a good job of living up to that reputation. Their main hobbies were fishing, busking, and partying. The only person in the town who never grew tired of their antics was the village idiot, Norman.

The mayor sat in his house, watching as the streets were littered with ribbons by the two irreverent brothers. He thought to himself, these brothers know nothing of the seriousness of the world. To this day, I don't know whether to be mad, or to laugh along with them. He then heard the phone ring.

"Hello, this is the Mayor of Notably Small Town speaking."

"Interesting. So I am to believe your town is small enough to be notable? I may just have to pay you a visit," said a deep, rough, threatening voice.

"Who is this?" asked the mayor.

"You know exactly who I am. I terrorise your puny government and the world alike. My power is ultimate. Not even Merlin can stop me. I am the right arm of evil, Gospello."

The mayor's face betrayed the shock that went through him after hearing that name. Gospello, he thought. The sorcerer known as the "Mystic Menace".

The next day, the brothers were out fishing, having a laugh about their antics from the previous day.

"We painted the town good, didn't we Brandon?"

"We painted the town well, Boris."

Boris laughed at Brandon's sarcastic remark.

"Well, what's next for us? This whole irreverence thing is getting stale. I'm not even sure it's working. The town thinks of us as a couple of nuisances."

"Aye, but that won't last forever. Sooner or later, we're gonna teach these people how to have fun."

"Everyone's super serious. I can't figure it out."

"I know, right? You'd think we were the only ones in this whole world who can tell a smile by looking."

On the horizon, Gospello sailed aboard his boat made from psychic energy and sustained by magic.

"That island over there, it does look notably small... Perhaps I misjudged that foolish insect when he called it as such."

Gospello stood and thought about whether he should indeed pay the town a visit.

"Perhaps tomorrow. For their sake, I would hope their moods are appropriately low. Joy is a scourge upon the Earth."

Brandon and Boris were determined to turn the town's attitude around, and do it that day. The problem that they had identified was the lack of a plan. Today was no different, as they had yet to come up with a plan. As a result, the rest of their day was spent coming up with one, and they decided that they would have to put it into action on the day after.

As the sun rose on the horizon, Gospello appeared on his boat, and contemplated how his arrival would be met with scared fools begging for mercy. How predictable mortals are, he thought. I shall revel in their pathetic misery.