Chapter 49: Left Unsolved

It was obvious to Martin now that James' foremost weakness was his inability to know what happened to his mother. Continuing through James' memories only further confirmed this theory. When James was twelve, he tried to question his father on what happened to his mother.

"You have to tell me!" said James. "What happened to her? Why haven't we seen her in three years? You keep telling me she's not dead, but then where is she?"

"That's not something you or I can or should know. If you ask questions like that, you'll get in big trouble. You might be twelve, but that's never stopped the government before. Unauthorised Questioning is a crime, no matter what. I can say that I know why, but even so, I am not at liberty to tell you. What I can tell you is more about the criminal offence."

"Fine, dad. Then tell me."

"Unauthorised Questioning, sometimes simply referred to as Questioning, is a four-degree crime that requires re-education of the offender in order to be cleared for."

Lachlan walked into the kitchen and began to make himself some tea. He clarified that he wanted to be absolutely clear on this matter, and could not do so on a dry throat.

"Fourth-degree Questioning is a minor offence. Sometimes no action is required. However, people who commit this offence are often put on a watchlist, and from that point on, have their every move recorded."

What is this guy thinking, telling this stuff to a twelve year old? thought Martin. As if to echo his sentiment, the young James asked his father a similar question.

"I want you to work with the government. With me. Army, police, it doesn't matter. I can't be the only one in this family looking out for justice. Do you understand?"

Of course I said yes. What else are you supposed to do in that situation? thought the adult James. It was at that moment Martin realised that his opponent was once again in control of his own mind. He began to panic, but then he heard James' thoughts. I wouldn't worry too much, therapy will be over soon.

They both directed their attention back to the scene unfolding below them. The young James had agreed to his father's word and continued to listen to his talk about Questioning.

"Fourth-degree Questioning typically involves asking someone unrelated a question they can't answer, or are not allowed to.

"A more serious crime is Third-degree Questioning. A child asking their parent or a worker asking their boss questions they can't answer, or are not allowed to. The standard course of action is to re-educate. The success rate at this degree is ninety-nine percent.

"Second-degree Questioning is a considerable offence. This involves asking someone of greater significance than yourself a question they cannot or are not allowed to answer; say, a worker asking a CEO or a civilian asking a nobleman. These involve re-education also, but given the lower success rate of fifty percent, they are also kept in local jails for six months.

"First-degree Questioning is a special crime that requires specific circumstances. Questioning a King or President, or asking questions relating to classified matters. Re-education in this instance has a success rate of ten percent, and often times the people who commit this level of criminal questioning often go on to become infamous criminals.

"Promise me that you will avoid asking questions, now and in the future, so that you will not end up a criminal."

Ah, yes, the broken promise. See, Martin, while my mother's disappearance awakened my latent curiosity and desire to solve mysteries, what really haunts me is that my father and I haven't seen eye to eye since this night, thought the adult James' consciousness.