Chapter 51: Departure

Dorothy Gale arranged a banquet in James' honour, as thanks for defeating Martin Magick. This would also serve as a farewell to the various Godspawn that were about to leave Limbo. Bluebeard had stated that he felt it would soon be time for such a thing to happen. The Earth-7 counterparts were also present, having come to terms with their alternate lives.

In the Great Emerald Hall, Dorothy, James, and Bluebeard sat near the front of the table, where they would be able to talk freely with one another about their plans moving forward.

"So, you plan on returning to the real world with Bluebeard and every other Godspawn you have found?" asked Dorothy.

"That sounds about right," said James.

"You do know that there are countless other Godspawn trapped in Limbo, right? Why only these people?"

"I can answer that," said Bluebeard. "As I've said before, there's a certain way that things have to be, and I can feel it. We're not meant to be saving everyone, just the ones we come across until it's time to move on."

"Interesting. And do you feel the same way, James?"

"While I would like to save everyone, I need to keep moving forward. I can't spend my entire life in Limbo, not when the Terminus awaits me."

"Ah, you are going to the Terminus? I admire your bravery. If someone like you can go there without fear, then I suppose I owe it to myself to go there as well," said Bluebeard.

"Someone like me?"

"Well, to be honest, you strike me as a hopeless optimist, and someone who doesn't know their limits."

"You're starting to sound a lot like Martin Magick."

"Heh, maybe I am. But here's the thing about the seven seas, only the strong can expect to thrive. People like you will survive, sure, but you won't rule the seas."

"I don't want to rule the seas. I want to explore them."

"Well then, just be on your toes. A lot of people out there want to stop people like you. That's the time when your strength truly matters."

"This is a lovely conversation, but can we get back to discussing your travel arrangements?" asked Dorothy.

Bluebeard obliged and began to inform James of how it is possible to leave Limbo. He predicted that tonight, there would be a window of opportunity, and it would be vitally important that they seize it when it arises.

The night continued on and everyone enjoyed themselves. The Godspawn returned to their hotel to pack their things and get ready to leave. Dorothy and her Ministry began to discuss potential future actions.

"So, you are sure that you three cannot leave here without losing the identities I created for you?" asked Dorothy.

"No, Empress. But you could still leave without it affecting us. And I have a feeling that the real world might need a mind like yours," said Sinclair.

"More than Limbo? Than the Emerald City? But here I provide a deterrent against people like Martin."

"But it may be your mind that attracts people like Martin," said Cowherd. "If I may be so bold, I think that you are afraid of stepping out of your comfort zone."

"Have a heart, Cowherd!" said Nicholas. "The Empress should only do what she feels is right!"

Dorothy listened to them argue, but was unsure what to think. Could she really leave this world behind? After how much she had influenced it? After how much it had influenced her? As if to answer her questions, a familiar face appeared before her.