Chapter 53: The Great Green Gamut

It was the fourteenth of August when the Psychic's Revenge landed on a new island. It was located in the Atlas Sea and known as Gamut Island. In the time that the pirates sailed the sea, they trained and grew stronger. James and Milangelo could now both reach a base nine-strength. Cameron had greatly improved his proficiency and techniques with the bow and arrow. Patricia had tapped into the abilities of her parasite and now knew a few of the universe's secrets. Karnilla added some new moves to her fighting style, as she became more proficient with her Viper Chain. Joneas became a more serious sorcerer, and made his first contact with Gaia. Brandon, Crock, Persimmon, and Jacket all became stronger as did the others.

Gamut Island was also known as "The Great Green", and its luscious jungles were said to lure in adventurers, who would never return. The Detective Pirates landed on the island having been informed of this by Patricia. Apparently, her Reveal parasite could reveal useful information when needed. They thanked her for the heads up, and James led a team of four into the jungle for an inspection. His team consisted of Cameron, Persimmon, Joneas, and himself. Karnilla, feeling brave, asked Milangelo if he could lead a second team to venture into a different part of the jungle. He agreed and this team would consist of Karnilla, Milangelo, Jacket, and Crock.

Meanwhile, in the depths of the jungle, inside a volcano concealed by trees, the shadow of a tall man laughed gleefully. The shadow appeared to smile.

"Whosoever arrives my island,

shall henceforth put on a smile and

evermore they dance and sing

their song narrating everything."

On the ship, Patricia and Brandon stayed to guard it, when the former felt something was off.

"Brandon, my Reveal powers alert me to some strange magic energy coming from the island. I think the others could be in some sort of trouble."

"My many years on this world and familiarity with magic give me a sense for it, and you are right. We should warn the others."

"Then who will guard the ship?"

"I don't know, but we should warn them."

Karnilla's group, led by Milangelo, were the first to notice the effects of the mysterious magic. The latter pointed to their left, but did so with his entire body, as if it were a dance move.

"Why are you moving with such vigour?" sang Karnilla. She realised that she had sung this line, and covered her mouth in embarrassment.

"Well, why do you sing with such rigour?" sang Jacket. "Why do I sing as well, do you figure?"

James' group was in a similar predicament, as James and Cameron began to sing about the fact that they were singing. Joneas interrupted with a verse of his own.

"From the mouth of but an apprentice,

I sing this counteractive sentence.

Beyond the utterance of these words,

No song or dance be apart of our curse."

To the surprise and relief of Joneas and those around him, the counter-curse worked. They no longer had to sing and dance. However, unbeknownst to them, the ancient shadow that had unleashed this curse had a built-in backup curse.

"Clever ones have rebuked the curse,

they now no longer sing in verse.

Though when it comes to important things,