Chapter 62: The Unusual Suspects

The morning of the second of October, all of the pieces began to fit into place. At one particular cafeteria table, sat Salvador Kings, Holden Glasgow, Oscar Oldscars, Garrett and Jasmine Eves, Barney Welsh, Jerry Knowles, Eric Eager, 'Lawbreaker' Gate Fredericks, and Munge.

"So we're all gathered here. Salvador, it's your moment, you know what to do," said Gate.

At that instant, Salvador stood up.

"You all have no strength of character!" he yelled. "We are all prisoners here not by force, but by choice. The impenetrability is naught but an illusion. We can be free!"

On another table, the Detective Pirates gathered.

"Any luck finding Crock?" asked Patricia to the crew.

"I'd rather have breakfast first before looking for Crock. I suspect if we can find each other again, we can find Crock," James answered.

The crew heard in the distance someone yelling. James, Milangelo, and Cameron glanced over out of interest to see what was happening. From their distance, it seemed to be little more than a prisoner causing a disturbance.

"I wouldn't worry about what other prisoners are up to," said Brandon. "We have our own mission."

Salvador continued his speech, causing roars of approval from any prisoners who heard it.

"You try and break out of here then!" shouted one prisoner.

That was all it took.

"I will," answered Salvador. "Who's with me?"

The roars of approval intensified, and Oscar smiled before playing his part. He turned around and yelled, "Riot!"

This word drove the excited prisoners into a frenzy, fighting anyone in their way, and essentially creating a distraction for those seated at Salvador's table, allowing them to slip away.

"Your crew is still on the outside, correct?" asked Holden.

"Yes, now stop talking, we are about to find an exit."

The Detective Pirates saw the riot break out and decided it would be for the best to return to their cells.

As they were about to do so, they saw a familiar face among the riot... Crock was sitting down at his table, fighting off anyone who would try to provoke him.

"He is a marvel. Sitting right in the middle of it all, not budging, simply eating his breakfast," said James.

"Maybe we should try just eating our breakfast?" suggested Patricia. "Might seem less suspicious than going back to our cells, now that I think about it."

Salvador, Gate, and the others were stopped at the exit by a tall man in a black suit.

"I suppose the riot in the cafeteria is your doing?" he asked.

"Vanguard Festival," said Munge. "Or perhaps I should say..."

"You shall say nothing, criminal!"

The Vanguard drew his sword, a blade made from red light. He took a little black ball of out his suit pocket and held it to his nose, and it unfolded into a metal mask. He swung at the group in front of him and Salvador blocked the sword with his bare hands, likely at his highest strength multiplier, and while he stopped the swing, it hurt his hands and pushed him down.

"Hm, probably best to use a blunt instrument in this situation," said the Vanguard. He pressed a button on the hilt of his sword and the light transformed into a baton.