Chapter 66: Maximum Insecurity

Josephine Arrows had declared her intentions to help, leaving the breakout crew in disbelief.

"Incredible," said Vanguard Festival. "She has retained her full memories. Whatever process allowed her to do this, I want to go next."

"Are you sure? It won't be pretty," said Salvador.

"Do it. In fact, if you see any of the other Vanguards, it would work to our advantage to free them in a similar manner."

"So wait, what happened to you? Why are you helping us?" asked James.

"I'd rather not get into it. But I was told that if an opportunity to regain my identity arose, I should take it."

"I for one don't have any problems with it," said Gate. "We need every capable fighter we can get. We also need every ally on the same page. Salvador, do your thing."

Salvador widened his stance, standing with his legs to either side and his back straight. He took a deep breath and closed his eyes. He thought the same phrase over and over, techno-mapping. Small lines of ones and zeroes dashed out from his feet and travelled through the prison. In his mind, a picture of its layout began to form, revealing everything to him.

"What is he doing?" asked Holden.

When Salvador had finished, he explained that through the detection of electrical impulses and other phenomena, he could obtain a mental image of everything as far as he could comprehend.

"After all," he continued, "my brain may work like a computer now, but I'm no super computer. There are still limits to the distances my mind can comprehend."

"Is it possible to enhance your powers with traditional strength enhancing techniques?" asked Jasmine.

"Apt question, but parasite powers seem to be exempt from enhancement across the board. They stay at the same level of potential, awaiting the user to live up to them."

The group was about to get into a long-form discussion about powers and whether or not the universe was fair and balanced, but Gate reminded them of their current goal. With that reminder, Salvador trapped Festival in a virtual hell, and also apologised in advance.

"With any luck, we'll have another of the Vanguards freed of mental control," said Josephine.

"Right, and who exactly are you?" asked Laura Frankenstein.

"That's rude, I don't go prying into your life," said Josephine.

"The Gentlelady has a point," said Munge. "How can we trust someone who was trying to keep us locked up?"

"Don't you get it, Munge?" asked Crock. "All of the Vanguards are effectively brainwashed. Why you of all people have trust issues all of a sudden..."

"Whoa, now you're making this about me? How many times do I have to apologise?"

"You could try once, because I don't recall you ever..."

"Oh shut up, Geezer! I've thought about it, so many times, and I didn't think I'd ever see you again... I just preferred to think that you hated me than to say anything."

"Guys, figure out your little squabbles later, we have a prison to break out of," said Gate, getting a little frustrated that their progress seemed to be continually impeded by conversation.

"Look, there's no rush Gate," said Salvador. "Let's just set up a chat room."

"What?" asked Garrett, who was holding back laughter.

Rather than dignify Garrett's outburst, Salvador went to work. "Virtual Reality: Chat Room!" a blue room surrounded the crew and appeared to be totally separate from the prison itself.