Chapter 1: Detective / Pirate

There is a saying among the seafaring folk; What one does to survive, one does also to thrive. Such an expression does not aptly speak for all the seafarers of the world, but it surely does speak for a great many of them. Perhaps, it may speak for none as greatly as it does James Baron, who all at once found himself in a dire situation.

"Unbelievable! Who does he think he is? How did he even find out that I was living here?" James yelled to thin air as he waved his hands in flippant exasperation.

He had just settled down in the town of Meagre, after fleeing an unpleasant confrontation in Cape Foreword. He had been on the move fairly frequently, for the last four years, all because of an incident that led to his dismissal as Detective for the Westhall Bureau of Investigation. He sat down at the table he had bought just yesterday, from a local businessman who would say nothing but the nicest of praises about all of his customers, a standard practice among these parts. He thought briefly about this man, and how welcoming he had been, and thought to himself Things will never be the same again. He began to think about how all of this had started, the incident in Westhall. That was a moment he would not soon forget.

"James, you're a legend, man! Who would've thought that any one could have found that Edwin Longchest! You did it, James! Edwin won't harm another living soul where he's going!" said a good colleague of James'.

"And where is he going, exactly?" James asked.

"Oh, I wouldn't ask questions like that, if I were you, James."

"Well, you're not me. Where is he being sent?"

"Come on, James, don't be like that. I might be obligated to report you. You're a very good detective, and I wouldn't want to see you stray down a dark path," said James' colleague.

"Dark path? Report me? Has the world gone insane? A detective is supposed to find the truth."

"A detective is supposed to find criminals, James. The truth is just a lie. There are no truths worth uncovering, James."

"Bullshit! The truth is a lie? Do you even hear yourself right now? I don't believe this."

"James, I would appreciate it if you could calm down and wait here while I call our superior. It would seem you're in danger of radicalisation."

Like hell I'm going to do that, James thought to himself. This is utter madness! Detectives aren't meant to find the truth? Just what kind of world am I living in? He thought about what to do next, if only for a moment. When his colleague wasn't looking, he quietly left the station. He felt quite lucky that his leaving was inconspicuous and nobody seemed to question him doing so or attempt to stop him. As he was about halfway home, it dawned on him that perhaps it had been too easy to leave the office. He started to run. He heard a voice from behind say "He started to run! Dispatch unit 49-X, and tell them 'They know what to do'."

When James got home, he had a whole team waiting for him. "Well, this is a bit much, isn't it?"

"This could've been avoided, James. Detectives are meant to find answers to the questions they've been asked, not the questions they ask themselves," said the squad leader.

"I still think that's bullshit."

"It's that kind of attitude that got you into this situation, James. It would seem that you require re-education."

Re-education? Am I living in some dystopian future? Please tell me this is a nightmare... James thought to himself.

"You have been charged with Questioning in the First Degree. Please surrender and come peacefully."