Chapter 52: The Hephaestus Sea Reprise

On the thirtieth of June, the Gentleman's Club held an event to welcome the new recruits throughout the year. Though many people are recruited each day, few show the promise that awards them praise at this ceremony. This event was known as The First Hurrah.

Attending this year's First Hurrah were all of the senior members of the Club, and several other high-ranking and notorious members. In addition, there were six Gentleman Recruits being recognised for their potential.

The first of these six was a man named Roman Beluchs. As the others came in, he sat in the corner, observing. They are all here to congratulate me. Whatever for? Surely I don't deserve such praise. I've only joined three days ago.

The second was a woman named Darque Storm. "Haha, I wouldn't worry about things like that," she said.

"Hello there, mistress freaky, and how is it that you knew what I was thinking?" asked Roman.

"I'm a mind reader, lyre-man."

Roman was annoyed by this woman, and so repeated her sentence in a perfect replication of her voice.

"I do not sound like that!"

"Actually, you do," said a man who came up to them. "This man's abilities and reputation precede him."

"You flatter me, but I find that doubtful," said Roman.

"My name is Hansen Young," said the man.

"I know. I read your mind," said Darque.

The remaining three arrived: Dorothy Gale, Joel Sardine, and Frederich Mannes. Gale introduced herself and added her own voice to the conversation.

"So you all have some interesting trick, huh? No wonder the Gentleman Guides see potential within you. Me, I have one of the strongest wills in the world, and I'm already friends with several of the higher ranking members. I may have only joined last week, but I've been of interest to them ever since I got trapped in Limbo at twelve years old."

Joel scoffed at Dorothy's bragging, and offered his opinion. "It is the mark of an immature mind to brag. It betrays that you feel threatened by your opponents."

"I'm just here to meet people," Frederich interjected. All of the recruits laughed at this and the mood was lifted.

The proceedings began at eleven a.m. Phileas Fogg gathered everyone and stood before them on the stage.

"We gather here today to acknowledge the promise of new recruits. Each promising recruit comes from a different sea, and each is one to keep an eye on. These are the most likely to succeed among all our recruits, and the career path of these recruits will likely become history. They may become Guides, or they may find purpose elsewhere.

"From the Phobos Sea, Joel Sardine. An avid reporter with a strong sense of justice, and former ties to the Rough-House Gang. His performance is indicative of someone who will come to be a great investigator.

"From the Hephaestus, Frederich Mannes. A soldier fed up with the state of his country, and looking to see the world. His performance is indicative of someone who will become wise.

"From the Hermes, Dorothy Gale. A woman of intelligent mind who was trapped in another dimension for fifteen years. Her performance is indicative of someone who was born to lead.

"From the Atlas, Roman Beluchs. A man who can create any sound imaginable and uses this power to his advantage. His performance is indicative of someone who will go where the wind takes him.