Chapter 36: Dinosaurs

While the nobles enjoyed their day spa and Martin observed the secret of Barronym Island, the Detective Pirates were following Joneas Demafred, who was making good on what the detective pirates had been promised: an exclusive chance to learn all about the dinosaurs of Barronym Island from the people that knew them best.

"Which dinosaur would you like to learn about first?" asked Joneas. "We have quite the selection."

"Surprise me," said James.

"That was a cool answer," said Brandon.

"It's been quite a few years since I saw dinosaurs," said Crock. "I think I came here about thirty-something years ago."

"I'll admit, the prospect piques my curiosity," said Milangelo.

"Mine too," said Persimmon.

"I'm just glad we get to do something together as a group," said Cameron.

"I've gotta know if this an example of 'Everything's Better With Dinosaurs' or 'Dinosaur Media'," stated Patricia.

"I'd wager the former, personally," said Karnilla. "Assuming the plot is moving forward from our perspective, though in the hypothetical scenario where our reality is some form of story, it would be impossible for us, mere characters, to deduce the true protagonists of that story."

"Sometimes I worry about you two," said Cameron.

"Aw, that's sweet," said Patricia. "But try to say it in a way that hasn't been done before."

"And what way would that be?" asked Persimmon. "I've read a lot of books, and you'd be surprised how many sentences have already been said in some form. Personally, I would simply focus on keeping the over-arching story unique in its presentation of the ideas, rather than focus on this uniqueness of the ideas themselves."

"Et tu, Persimmon?" said Cameron.

"Yeah right, and the next thing you know, public domain characters are all over the place," said Patricia.

"I think they already are," laughed Crock.

"You guys sure are one close-knit bunch. Sounds like you also enjoy yourselves quite a bit. But we're almost to the brachiosaur enclosure, so I would appreciate your attention," said Joneas, matter-of-factly.

"Alright, so what species is the brachiosaur?" asked James.

"Please direct all of your questions to the handler, I will be waiting for you in the tent over by the blue tree," said Joneas.

"Huh, that tree really is blue. What's up with that?" asked Milangelo, his gaze transfixed upon the tree.

"Long ago, powerful spirit magic altered this part of the forest so that all the trees disappeared, except one. The one that remained was turned blue. Some say there's a spirit tied to the tree, but who knows?"

"Well, thank you for taking us," said James.

"It's all part of the job. Well, the rebel part, not the doctor part," said Joneas. "Of course, if you need anything tested, or treated, or surgically removed, don't hesitate to call."

The lead brachiosaur handler introduced himself as Phil, and showed the group to the herd.

"The hardest part about domesticating brachiosaurs is getting them to get used to being by themselves. Their tendency to travel in packs makes it really easy for them to be hunted, and we want to avoid that, so we train them to be able to go off on their own. No-one expects a lone brachiosaur, which is why this strategy is actually more effective for their survival."