Chapter 59: The Atlas Sea

It was the thirty-first of August and the Gathering of Leaders was four months away. This meant that leaders across the world were making preparations to get to Duddlewane Island.

The President of Burundi was leaving the island for Omatra, where she could take a plane to her destination. She left her Vice President in charge.

Hypothermia, Gumboot, and Jeof watched the disembarkation together, each squinting at each other.

"Things like this only happen once every hundred years, my dear rivals," said Hypothermia. "We have but one chance to plunge this island into chaos, and I think together we can do it. Of course if you object, I will kill you."

"You can try," said Jeof.

Halberd was making preparations when Indigo gave him a call. He was somewhat expecting this, as the timeline he had been given left him confused.

"If I am to be here supervising the resurrection of Orange, then who is to attend the Gathering?"

"Halberd, my friend, I cannot tell you what is going to happen at the Gathering, only that you cannot be there. You must send Amperes and Bolster in your stead."

"How do I even arrange such a thing?"

"I am already making the arrangements."

Across the world, monarchs, elected leaders, and dictators alike prepared to leave for Duddlewane Island. Cleft Island, Very Important Island, Omatra, Bloodwile, Gandonia, Isle of Mount Bastion, Sundown Island, Thirsty Round, Fermilia, Gab Island, and many others.

In Snyke's Penitentiary, Salvador met with Holden Glasgow.

"Do you really have a parasite?" asked Holden.

"The Cyber parasite. An old friend of mine desired it, but had no idea of its true capabilities."

"And you do? This place neutralises abilities."

"Before I came here, I downloaded an AI directly into my brain and it searches the net discreetly for information on the Cyber parasite. I know more about this parasite than most would in the same circumstances. I won't give anything away, but when we pull off the breakout in October, there's some moves I really want to try at least once."

"Sounds good. I was thinking we should ask Gate if he's found some other interested parties."

"No need, I've seen him chatting to a lot of different prisoners. It turns out the guy who turns himself in is pretty popular."

"Didn't you basically do the same thing?"

"Co-operating with local authorities is not the same as walking up to a prison and surrendering. Though I do like that even in a high-security place like this, I can command some respect."

"You ran a cult. Not many people here can say that. Most of them are just pirates. Of course, I was part of a usurpation plot so I have that going for me."

"The circus that tried to overthrow a kingdom. What happened to your leader?"

"A sorcerer from the Gentleman's Club showed up and sent him to another dimension. Kind of crazy, huh?"

Salvador and Holden had hit it off better than most of the inmates planning to escape, so much so that at the end of their conversation they came to an agreement. If they ever found someone whose flag they would fly under, they would both join that person, no questions asked.

Underneath the ruins of the former Gareth Town, Masquer hid himself away in a bunker, grieving over his loss. Not only had Tom Sorrow destroyed the entire city, but now had somehow managed to get inside his mind. He saw the bastard's face every time he closed his eyes. He had found the bunker one night and killed Eleanor French while she slept. It had been the most harrowing thing Masquer had to deal with yet. Eleanor was the last thing tying him to a realm of sanity, morality, and reason. She was a voice from his past, someone whose company he had thoroughly enjoyed, and someone he could trust to steer him in the right direction.