Dan One Shot for Emer (theycallmecr4zy/wattpad)

I breathe a big sigh of relief as the final school bell rings. Saying quick goodbyes to my friends, I make my way out of the school grounds, swiftly pulling out my phone.

'Wait outside the front of your school, I'm off work early and I'll be picking you up Emer, see you soon!' I read the message Mum sent me a few hours back.

I reach the carpark and automatically start scanning for my mum's familiar car, but instead finding a different familiar car instead. I see a boy with messy sandy brown hair leaning on the door of his black RAV4.

"Dan!?" I exclaim, running over to him, dropping my bag beside me to give my boyfriend a tight hug. He lifts me up, spinning me round as I giggle. He sets me down back on my feet and gives me a brief kiss.

"Your mum has an urgent meeting and gave me the honour of giving you a ride home," he winks.

"Are you sure you're not here to kidnap me?" I laugh as a devious grin shows on his face. "Hold up, what's going on?" I question his mysterious behaviour.

"Well, you'll have to get in and find out," Dan says dramatically as he opens the car door for me, picking up my schoolbag with his other hand.

I watch in amusement as he heaves my bag into the backseat of the car, before sliding into the driver's seat. "What have you got in there? Bricks?!" He exclaims, pretending to look tired from the slight workout.

"Close," I chuckle. "They're called textbooks,"

"Smartass," he smirks playfully.

"Would you like to get the car running maybe?" I snigger.

"Sure, why not?" He smiles, before revving the engine.

We fall into our familiar routine of talking about anything and everything, with the occasional witty jokes and remarks to each other. This is what I love about him, he's so cute, caring and just genuinely so fun to be around.

"Uhh, you just passed my street Dan," I tell him, looking out my window.

"We're taking the long way," he says, giving me a cheeky smile.

"So you ARE kidnapping me!" I say with a pretend tone of panic.

"No no, there's no kidnapping involved. Your parents already know where I'm taking you," he reassures me.

"Hmm, well, where exactly are you taking me?" I enquire back.

"Not telling!" Dan teases. "That would ruin the whole surprise! I have it all planned out!"

"You? Planned something? Who are you and what have you done with my boyfriend?" I tease, remembering all the dates he would successfully wing last minute.

He gasps at my remark, "I'm offended!" He says, a playful sad expression showing on his face.

"I'm sowee," I say in a little kid's voice, giving him puppy dog eyes.

His hand finds its way into mine, as we fall into a comfortable silence. We literally drive for hours, but neither of us minded, it's the fact that we're together that matters.

"We're here!" He says finally, breaking the silence.

I must've zoned out; looking outside I find that it's already getting dark.

"You weren't lying when you said you would take the long way home," I laugh, slightly confused.

"When have I ever lied to you?" He smirks, as I instantaneously roll my eyes at him playfully. "I love how you have no idea what you're in for," he continues, the smile on his face even wider.

I pretend to be scared as he leads me to the backyard fence.

"We have a front door you know," I say confused.

He looks back at me smiling, but doesn't say a word. He opens the gate and we walk in.

I gasp in awe as I take in the sight of a beautifully decorated backyard. Lanterns scattered over the garden, and a checkered picnic cloth laid in the middle of the yard. Sitting on top of the cloth, a bag of McDonald's.

"Wow," I manage to say; his effort rendering me speechless.

I bite my lip to hold back a smile, noticing Dan's staring at me intensely.

"Do you like it?" He asks, almost cautiously.

"I love it," I respond, slightly choked up.

"I'm glad you do," he says, before we start our little picnic.

We eat slowly, continuing our conversation and banter from the car trip.

I look up to see stars starting to appear in the sky. Dan and I both lie on our backs, star gazing, as his fingers play with my hair.

"Thanks for doing this Dan, it's... I really...I...thanks," I stumble out stupidly, still completely and utterly chuffed.

"Award winning speech right there," he chuckles. I slap him in the arm, as he pretends to whine in pain.

"I can't believe you did all this for me, it's perfect," I explain myself.

"Perfect like you," Dan smiles.

"Oh I don't know about that," I reply shyly, blushing.

"But I know," he says, sitting up. He leans down and our lips meet. A kiss full of passion and desire, and a kiss I never want to break out from.