Micky One Shot for Cassie (My_TW_GS_Davis/twitter)

It’s hard having a crush on your best friend, let alone a best friend who’s famous…

“Promise me we’ll stay in touch,” Micky had said to me before leaving for a long tour with his band. Now the exact words still linger in my memory.

We’ve been friends for as long as I remember, and for so long we’ve been inseparable. He’s been through times where life seemed to pull me down, and I’ve also shared all my happy moments with him. But never in a million years did I expect us to be like we are now…

I flip my way through our photo albums; feeling a sense of nostalgia rush over me as I reminisce back to the days we would hang out everyday.

Thinking back now, I really wish I had racked up the nerves to tell him…to tell him I loved him more than a best friend.

The thought gnaws away at my nerves, as I try to convince myself to get over him- that he doesn’t think of me as more than a friend; that he’s famous, and there’s so many other girls out there; that I shouldn’t be risking our friendship…

I finally get myself off the couch to get myself ready for another boring day, another meaningless passing of time, another day without my best friend.

I decide to go to the cafe down my street. The place Micky and I would go to together; the place Micky had nicknamed ‘Our Cafe’.

I pull open the familiar front door, absorbing in the familiar scent and look of the place, letting out a deep sigh, wishing Micky was here with me. I take my order before heading to our usual table to take a seat.

Nearing the table, I find that there’s a small elegant box on it. Confused, I take a swift look around, trying to find owner of the box.

No one…

I pick it up, ready to walk back to the counter to hand it in. I take a look at the box again, seeing the words ‘My girl, Cassie Lear’ beautifully scripted on the top.

Me? What, no. It can’t be for me…can it? But who?

Shocked, I decide to take a peek inside, to find the box filled with my favourite things. A wide smile shows on my face, my stomach full of fuzzy feelings as I suspect who would’ve given me the box.

My ordered drink is placed beside me, and I lift my head to say ‘thanks’, to find my favourite person in the world, my best friend Micky standing in front of me with his perfect smile.

“Surprise Cassie! Hope you liked my gift?” Micky exclaims.

I swiftly get out of my chair, stumbling into his open arms, breathing in the familiar scent of his aftershave. “I love it! Thank you,” I say genuinely. “Aren’t you still meant to be on tour Mick?” I ask. I swear he still has a month or so of tour.

“Yeah, but I missed you, a lot. And there was something I wanted to tell you before I left, but I didn’t. So here I am,” He slightly chuckles. You and me both Micky.

“So, um…” Micky says more nervously now, as our eyes lock into each others. “Cassie, I like you a lot. I don’t know whether you feel the same way, but I just needed you to know. You’re my best friend, I know, but I like you a lot more than a friend. Going on tour, being away from you made me realise how much you mean to me. Oh my days, I hope this doesn’t anything!” He blurts out, leaving me stunned.

“Oh thank goodness,” I sigh out in relief. “I’m glad I’m not the only one who’s insanely in love with their best friend,” I smile.

Before I knew it, Micky leans in and ever so delicately places his lips on mine.