Dan One Shot for Kiwi (KiwiRosenau/twitter)

Damnit. I complain to myself, as I scrunch up another page of my notepad and tossing it to the side.

I’ve been sitting here alone on the beach for a while now, hoping the presence of nature could somehow help with my song writing. Singing being my passion, I couldn’t let this local singing/songwriting competition just pass me by.

I look down at my empty white page, before squeezing my eyes shut in frustration. How hard could it be to write one simple song…

After having a little fit at myself, I decide it’s best to leave this spot I’ve been at for hours, and just take a little walk around the beach. I impatiently shove all my bits of useless lyrics in my bag, and take out my ipod and earphones. I start my walk up the beach, listening to my favourite music, while admiring the evening sky, still looking for inspiration.

I hear a shout from a distance behind me, but I don’t bother to turn around; until I hear it a second time, accompanied by a light tap on my shoulder. I turn around this time, pulling out an earbud to stare questioningly at a boy in front of me. My eyes take in the sight of his glistening brown hair; his brown eyes, almost covered by his hair; and his cute smile.

I take my other earbud out, opening my mouth to question his intentions, but he beats me to it.

“Um, hi, sorry, I really just stopped you because you dropped this,” he says in an almost shy tone. I watch as he opens up his left hand, revealing a piece of crumpled paper of my lyrics.

I sigh in frustration seeing my song writing failure clutched in his hand. 

“Thanks,” I mumble, taking the paper from him.

I look at him and find myself captivated by his looks again. 

“I’m Dan, by the way,” He flashes a smile, as he looks me in the eyes. 

“I’m Kiwi,” I say, sounding a bit dull. 

“That’s such a unique name! I like it,” He smiles at me again, as I feel my cheeks slowly heating up.

“Hopefully you don’t mind me asking, but what was on that sheet? You didn’t seem that pleased to have it back,” He asks with a tone of cautiousness in his voice, as he nods his head towards the paper in my grasp.

“Oh don’t worry about it, I just feel a bit useless,” I sigh again. 

“Feeling useless isn’t something not to worry about. Sure you don’t know me that well- or at all in fact, but you can tell me Kiwi, maybe I can help” I feel him looking at me intensely, but I keep my eyesight trailed to the floor. “C’mon, let out all of that frustration on me, I can take it,” He lets out a small chuckle.

I shrug and smile up at him. He seems like such a caring, sweet guy. 

“Well I’m trying to write a song for a competition, but I just can’t manage to write anything good!” I shrug, not expecting Dan to understand.

“I know exactly how you feel, all you need to do is find a source of inspiration,”

I shoot him a confused look…Surely he couldn’t know that much about

songwriting. I tilt my head slightly, urging him to explain himself.

“I’m…uhh, part of a three piece boyband called GMD3,” Dan explains, smiling at me again.

My stomach somersaults. These last few minutes I had been talking to a member of a boyband. Well that could explain his extremely good looks…

“Oh wow! That’s so cool!” I stammer out, still stunned. 

“Yeah I guess,” he shrugs. 

“So what can you tell me about getting inspiration to write?” I ask curiously now.

“To be honest, it will just come to you,” he winks at me.

I decide to not question his statement, and we begin walking up the beach in silence. I find myself looking up to study the perfect details of his face.

We sit down on a bench, and I stare up ahead at the sea, watching the sun slowly set on the horizon.

“You’re beautiful,” I hear Dan’s voice beside me, turning my attention, to find my eyes locking into his.

I bite my lip to suppress a smile. “Thanks,” I mutter, feeling the blood rush to my cheeks.

“Would you like to go on a date with me Kiwi?”

I feel my heartbeat racing faster, as I try to digest what Dan had just asked. 

“I would love that,” I finally say, leaning over to give him a small kiss on the cheek.

I see Dan’s face light up with happiness, and I catch myself grinning widely also.

I have finally found my inspiration.