Chapter 7

****

Saturday, a day before Louis birthday, is nothing like any of us had expected.

And by nothing, I meant the weather was more disappointing than getting your chilli cheese fries order with no cheese. or chilly in this situation....pun intended.

The sun is out and on full display, rays so fucking powerful im sure I can cook some eggs on the sidewalk. so much for a Christmas with snow.

All my....his nieces, cousins, family are in the ocean, building sand castles like there's no tomorrow and tanning on the shore of the reservoir. There's a barbeque going on with all the ladies spilling the latest gossip. Casual.

Me and Ethan sit a little distant from the rest and I let him bury my feet. He seems amused by the ways my toes peek out the sand, and tries repeatedly to hide them. I play along, and it's enough to get him to forget about swimming in that water that can contain many diseases.

Although it looks sparkling blue.

It concerns me.

Edward and William are playing football in the water, shouting at Louis who stands and watches.

They try to get him in but Louis doesn't budge, arms crossed against his chest while he laughs at William splashing Edward.

He turns around and I catch his gaze. He looks startled getting caught, but in the end, smiles, looking at Ethan. I smile back, courtesly, and he turns away like if nothing happened.

It's been awkward the past couple of days sharing the same room, or at least for me. When they mentioned sharing a room, I had not pictured we would be sharing the bed too.

And that's how I ended up having to place a pillow to separate the contact. Ethan sleeps against my chest, and the item is placed in between my son and Louis, just for precaution. I refuse to let him attach himself to someone who will not be present in his life, and so far, the cards aren't in my favor.

I continue to place the pillow although we end up waking like a sandwich, with Ethan in the middle holding onto Louis, Louis onto my chest, and I onto Louis back.

It's not intentional.

It just.....it is what it is.

"Louis, get in the water before we bring you in!"

"I-I am I am. Just.....hold on."

I watch as the younger boy approaches the water and only dip his toes in. He stares into the blue for a while before looking up and shaking his head. He steps back and Edward shouts.

"Well!? Come on."

"Alright!"

Louis begins to step in and William laughs, along with Antoinette and Gerald, our....his distant cousins.

"What are ye doin lewis. take your shirt off,.gonna get it wet."

"N-No im fine."

Louis yells back and kicks the water on the shore, waving at them.

"S fukin hot mate. you sure?"

"Yes. I-I dont want them to see me....you know. The N word."

Louis isn't subtle at all as he glances over at me, making me want to crawl in a hole and die....

of laughter.

William and Edward seem to be thinking the same thing because they stare back and point right directly in my direction.

"ey 'arry! Lous calling ya a creep!"

Edward mocks at me and Louis shrugs, not even denying the false accusation. I dont bother, deciding to play with my cards.