Chapter Thirty-five - Holi-holidays

Start from the beginning

Louis was quiet on our way back, his eyes glazy as he looked outside at the darkness surrounding us. The small smile never left his face though, so I knew he was happy, just processing the day. It still felt surreal sometimes. Six months ago he didn't even spoke with his mum and now we had celebrated his birthday and Christmas together. Niall and Harry arrived at the flat ten minutes after we got inside, they had gone to Harry's family today and tomorrow at noon Niall's parents would arrive at the airport. I knew Niall missed them and hated the fact that he couldn't go and see them whenever he wanted since they had moved back to Ireland, so it meant a lot for him that they came over for Christmas this year. We all talked a bit over a cup of tea, or rather, the three of us talked while Louis was still unusually quiet, before we went to bed to get at least a few hours of sleep before morning came, way too soon without a doubt. 

We had ignored our alarm clock for several hours and decided to sleep in instead, but finally had to get up at eleven to be ready for when our guests would arrive. Louis had prepared some appetizers for the afternoon, but we all went out to dinner at six. My mum and Niall's greeted each other as the old friends they were, and apparently Harry and Niall's dad got along very well together. Louis and I were mostly talking to Niall, Greg, Niall's brother and Ruth throughout dinner. Louis still wasn't back to his old self, or so it seemed, but he had claimed to be perfectly fine when I had asked him about it earlier, so I let it slide. He excused himself at eleven though, saying he was really tired and had a lot of work to do tomorrow. I asked him if he wanted me to come home with him, but he insisted that he would be fine, and that I should stay to catch up with Greg and Niall's parents. I gave him a worried look, but he shrugged it off and left the restaurant after saying his goodbyes. 

I left an hour later, together with my mum and Ruth who had to drive back to Wolverhampton, while Niall and Harry went to the pub with Niall's family before they would go to their hotel. I went to the bathroom to brush my teeth and threw my clothes in the hamper before I joined Louis in our bed. I didn't sleep much at all, since Louis kept on tossing and turning all through the night, and by the time morning came, he was damp with sweat. He woke up when I had given up on trying to sleep any longer and got out of bed to take a shower. He looked terribly pale and judging from the groans leaving his mouth he felt equally bad. I sat back down on top of the covers and brushed his damp hair out of his face, noticing that he was in fact burning up. 

It took me a lot of convincing but in the end he agreed to come with me to the doctors in the afternoon. Apparently there was flu around, and he had been unfortunate enough to catch it. So had Phoebe, we were told when Jay called us.

"Oh babe I just hope I'll be better on New year's. I want to celebrate one year of Lilo with you! Well, and go out with the rest of them for the fireworks as well, of course, but mostly celebrate our anniversary." he groaned as he laid curled up in our bed, cuddling the blankets. I rolled my eyes as I walked over to him with a cup of hot soup.

"Now don't you worry about that. I'm sure you'll feel better, and even if you don't, we'll find a way to celebrate it, or we'll just postpone it."

"But I wanted to celebrate it this week!" he whined before he took the mug from my hand and emptied it in a couple of minutes while we discussed what we would do for our one year anniversary. I tucked him in again and pressed a kiss on his forehead as he was already drifting back to sleep, walking back into the kitchen to get the cupcakes I had been making out of the oven. I let them cool while I studied for a couple more hours, went to check on Louis who was still out cold and started to decorate the cupcakes before Niall prepared us dinner. He trudged into the kitchen and looked over my shoulder to see what I was doing. 

"Are those the cupcakes for your anniversary? Will they still be fresh in two days?"

"Libby borrowed me some special boxes to keep them fresh. And yes they are. How do they look?" I asked, turning my head so I faced Niall.