Chapter 38

Cara

          “Good Evening, this is Casey Adams with an update. I am here at the location of Laguna Beach California prison to inform you that a man with the name of Caleb Dove, who reportedly stabbed 19 year old Keith Remmingway last Wednesday, has been found. He allegedly stabbed Mr. Remmingway out of anger and jealousy. If not for his sister, Ashley Dove, the police would not have found him. And back to you Walter…”

Keith was staring at the TV with anger in his eyes. He was bouncing Crystal with one hand, and squeezing a stress ball in the other.

          “Baby, they found him. That’s a good thing.” I say to him softly. I touch his shoulder gently and he hands me Crystal without looking at me and gets up. I watch as he walks over to the door and grabs his keys. “Where are you going?” I ask. Without saying a word, he walks out the door and slams it behind him. I sigh and walk over to the kitchen with Crystal.

Delilah was sitting at the island sipping coffee. She wasn’t doing so well either. She was very shaken up and frazzled from the incident.

          “They got em’.” She says. I shake my head and open the fridge to get Crystal some milk.

          “You two are obsessing over this. It’s not healthy.” I say quietly. I put heat the bottle up by placing it in a pot with hot water and apparently she heard me and got up and stood next to me.

          “Your ex-boyfriend stabbed my son.” She said flatly. I sighed and looked over her face. She looked so distraught; she probably hadn’t slept for days. Her face looked older and pale; her hair looked as if it hadn’t been dressed in weeks, there were bags under her eyes and all of her wrinkles showed. I felt so badly for her. I gave her a wary smile and she looked away from me. I watched as she slowly went downstairs.

          It felt as if they were blaming me for this. As if I had a part to play. I understand that Caleb loved me and I broke his heart, but I didn’t know that he would do that. I never knew that he was capable of hurting someone that I loved. And it isn’t like I talked to him after the incident. I ignored his text messages and I didn’t want anything to do with him. I’m actually thrilled that they caught him. I’m even more thrilled that Keith is okay. I sigh and sit down to feed Crystal. She was staring up at me, drinking the milk. I smile, looking at her innocence; taking in that she could do nothing wrong…yet. I hear Claire crying from upstairs and brought Crystal with me.

          It’s been three days since Keith angrily left the house. I tried calling him, texting him and everything. I called his friends too. But nothing, non one knew where he was. The only thing I could do was wait. He had left in baggy sweats and a t-shirt, so I knew he couldn’t have been going to work.

 It was eleven at night and the girls were already asleep. I hadn’t seen Delilah for a while either. Even though she was living in our basement, she never came upstairs. Of course she had everything she needed down there, so I could see why she wouldn’t come upstairs. So I was alone with the girls.

          I was lying on my bed, staring at the ceiling, when my phone buzzed. I rolled over to the side-table and saw a text message from Becca.

Becca: hey

Me: hi becs

Becca: I heard

Me: yah, I think everyone did.

Becca: hows keith doin?

Me: don’t know. Haven’t seen his since we found out

Becca: r u serious? Where is he?