Chapter 21

Chapter 21

Keith

Two girls. I was hoping for a boy and a girl, or maybe two boys. But just the reality of having two girls is amazing. Just seeing the two small figures on that screen and hearing their growing healthy heart beats made me overjoyed. I kind of feel really stupid for acting the way I acted. I should have been in that room with Cara, holding her hand. I just stood there are stared at the screen. She was crying and I couldn't even touch her. In that moment I couldn't even say sorry. This was supposed to be one of the most important dates of our lives.

The doctor printed out a lot of pictures and told Cara and I some helpful tips. Cara got up, thanked the doctor and walked out of the office. I followed her and kept calling her name. She continued to ignore me and walked towards my car.

"See how it feel to be ignored? How's your precious baby?" She yells. I know she's talking about the car. It was stupid of me, but I just can't sell it.

"Cara, just please don't make me sell this car. I'm sorry, I was dumb." She kept trying to open the door but it was locked. I unlocked it and she glared at me.

"It's funny how after all of that you still don't want to sell your car. You know, I dont even want to get in your stupid car!" She started to walk out of the parking lot towards the exit. I ran after her and grabed her arm to stop her. She jerked away and turned around to stare at me.

"If you didn't show up to this sonogram, I would have hated you so much. One more second and that would have been it for us Keith!" She started to walk away again.

"Cara, I'm sorry! I just have a lot going on right now."

"No excuse Keith! I do too! And I'm the one who's pushing two baby's out of a very small area!" She yelled. People in the parking lot were staring at us with confused and empathetic faces.

"Cara, please just come in the car so we can talk." She stopped and turned around. She waddled to my car and gets in and slams the door. I wince at the sound and sigh. I get in and start the car. The drive back to my house was very quiet. I drove slower and I didn't put any music on.

When we got there she got out of the car and went inside. I saw that my mom wasn't home and shut the car off. I went inside to find her on the sofa holding her stomach.

"Cara! What's wrong!? I rushed to her side and held her.

"Cara say something, please!" She looked at me, got up slowly and smiled.

"They kicked Keith." I let out a sigh of relief. She took my hand suddenly and placed it on her stomach. I felt a little nudge and then another. I smiled at the feeling and looked at her.

"My baby girls." I smiled and felt the love and connection that made everything a reality. I looked at Cara's glowing face and saw how much more I loved her. I placed my ear on her stomach and listened. I heard noises and felt another kick. I smiled and chuckled.

"My baby girls!" I repeated more happily. Her smile grew wider and I realized then, that I would do anything for my baby girls. Even if I had to give up my car. I felt my eyes tear up and realized I was about to cry. I hugged her belly and just stayed there for a moment and cried. Real actuall tears of joy and happiness. I just couldn't stop repeating, 'My baby girls.' Cara kept giggling and she took my head in her hands.

"Keith, I'm not punishing you. I love you. And our girls will love you no matter what, as will I. What matters the most right now is that you were there in that office with me. You might have showed up late, but you were there. And you're here now, with me and sharing this beautiful moment. If you never showed up, you wouldn't be here to witness this miraculous moment. I thank you for that." She was crying and I sat up to hold her in my arms. I kissed her forehead and wipped the tears falling down her cheeks. She kissed me then, hard and happily. I felt the smile on her lips and smiled myself. It was a family moment so I decided to take a picture of the two of us, red eyes and smiling. Happier than ever.