Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Cara

I slept all day and all night for a while. And I slept, went to work and threw up for the rest of the month. July went by so fast that I felt like I wasn't living. Summer was halfway over and I would soon have to go back to school. Keith had gotten a job at Sears and went every day. He's been practically living at my house for most of the summer. He had already told his parents and they supported us 100%.

I woke up on August 5th very tired. I also noticed that I was showing. A lot. I mean a whole lot. It's been two months and it looked like It's been four. When Keith got up for work that morning, he saw me and stared at my belly.

"Cara, your showing." He didn't look happy, he looked surprised. It made it that much more of a reality seeing my stomach bulge like that. He walked over to me and touched it. He smiled and I saw tears in his eyes.

"Keith? I think I need to see a doctor." I was a little worried. My doctor told me I wouldn’t show too much yet and I wouldn't know the gender until I was halfway through the pregnancy.

"Now? I have to work."

"Let's go Keith!" He quickly grabbed my purse and put his shoes on and we walked out the door. I made an appointment on the way. He kept glancing at me worriedly on the way there. When we got there I was seen quickly.

"Good morning Cara, Keith." She looked down at my stomach and made a confused face. She checked her files quickly and looked at the calendar on the wall.

"How far along are you?"

"2 1/2 months." Keith says for me. She presses on my stomach tenderly and schedules an ultrasound for me. Me and Keith go into another room and they put the cold jelly on my abdomen.

"Great news," says the nurse. We both look at her questioningly.

"You’re having twins." Keith's mouth dropped open. I stared at the screen showing two little babies. Not even a little bit bigger but very small. I felt my eyes tear up and I couldn't speak. The nurse congratulated us and gave us and took a couple pictures. Then she left the room to give us a moment to look at the pictures.

"I can't believe it." I whispered. I looked at Keith and he was crying silently.

"We're having twins Cara." He came over and hugged me and we both cried. It wasn't tears of horror but tears of joy.

We left and drove in silence. Mostly disbelief. I kept looking at the pictures. He pulled up to his house and opened the door for me. He took my hand and we walked upstairs to his room. His house was always so quiet. No fighting, no crying, no whining, just peace and quiet. I laid on his bed and closed my eyes. I was grateful that the morning sickness was over. It hurt and I hated to throw up.

"They're beautiful." I hear Keith say under his breath. I noticed how happy he seemed with the news. He wasn't the one who would push two babies out of a vagina. I imagined how much harder it would be raising two kids. It would be fun but, It'd be twice the crying, twice the feeding, twice the mess, twice the pain, twice the money and twice the love. I know because I am a twin, and I know how much I fought for love and attention. What was I going to tell everyone. They'd have to find out eventually. My mom wants to know everything about my pregnancy.

"Cara." I looked at him, he was holding my phone. It was showing a text message from my ex-boyfriend Anthony. It said, 'I miss you baby, when are we going to hang out again?' I looked up at his face and he looked confused and angry. Keith didn't know who Anthony was, but he was about to find out.