CHAPTER LIII

" Alhaji Ringim, you know we've passed all this friend of a thing. We are now family. So tell me the truth, what did you do to sadiq? " Alhaji dabo asked

The said man heaved a sigh " there is no point in hiding anything. I cheated that boy, I really did"

This got Alhaji dabo confused " how do you mean?"

" All that I did, I thought I was doing the right thing. I thought I was saving sadiq from the bad people. It pains me so badly that my sadiq doesn't even have any ounce of pity for me. It so painful " he shook his head in pain.

" Will you please try elaborating?" alhaji dabo asked the man sitting in front of him.

" I have kept this hidden for so long. I've never told anyone about it but I think it's high time I let the truth out of the bag. "

" OK, go ahead"

" Some years back. I had this argument with sadiq over the same thing we normally argued about " he started

" and what is that thing you two always argued about? "

" His mother, fatimatu."

" OK. Go ahead "

" Maimuna isn't as supportive as you think. Even after fatimatu died she has never once shown sadiq any sigh of love. She had hated that boy with passion . If you ask me why? I really don't know either. She is just filled with so much hatred just like her son. " his mind went back to this particular day.

" on a faithful day, I came home from work. As I entered,I met no one in the sitting room. I checked the kitchen whether maimuna might be there  but she wasn't. I went upstairs to my room and on reaching there, I heard hush sound coming out from Maimuna's room. I moved closer to listen clearly and to my utmost shock I heard Maimuna telling the person on the phone to do a particular job clearly. She said 'make sure you finish that stupid boy off. I want him off this earth'. I couldn't enter to confront her , I was so scared cos I know she was talking about sadiq."

" I was so confused and scared. I quickly walk into my room before she knows about my presence.  I thought of ways to solve the issue , ways to make maimuna change her mind about what she was about to do. Then I came with an idea of pretending to hate my sadiq. My pretense became so strong from there. Already sadiq and I had a clash before then, so it makes everything even more believable. "

" Even Maimuna herself was surprised of my change of attitude towards sadiq. She never expected me to be harsh on him. She knew how I love that boy so dearly but she never complained , Infact she even supported me. The house became so unbearable for that boy. I still remember the look in his eye the day he confronted me about leaving the house forever. My heart aches to call him back but I couldn't, I needed to stand on my promise. I let him leave " he broke down in tears " I let my boy leave home without any money or help. It pains me so much for him but I had to do it for his safety"

Alhaji dabo pitied him " But you should have done something about her. How did you even manage to leave with such a woman? "

" I really don't know wallahi. It surprises me too "

" But as a father you should have helped sadiq in some ways. Maybe through people " Alhaji dabo pointed out.

" I tried, I really tried but it wasn't enough. Maimuna always finds out one way or another. The only help I knew I was successful in doing is buying his and his friend's ticket. "

" you mean the ticket which they use to travel out of the country? How did it happened? " he was surprised

" When the scholarship advert started I went up to the branch to get it and surprisingly I met your wife yasira who was also there to buy the form too. I begged her to please allow me to pay for everything, she didn't want to agree with my request at first but with so much pleading she allowed it. I also told her not to tell anyone about it. It a secret which she and I alone knew about"