90 - On Your Own

Only once, Alex had spent the night in a cell. She had been 18. Kip had returned blind drunk from a party, destroying the neighbor's car just for the sake of having fun. Alex had been attracted by the noise and had berated her little brother. She however wasn't the only one leaving the house; the neighbor stormed out of the door as well. Quickly, she had shoved her brother towards the house of their uncle, pretending that she was the one doing the damage. Spending one night in a cell and a huge fine had been her punishment. 

This time, she wouldn't be that lucky. She was done with hours of interrogations, where after she had been taken to a cell away from the men. She had no choice but to reveal her true identity. She doubted she would see her brothers again. It was more likely that she would be pushed inside a prisoner transport van with only women. 

A deep sigh left her lips and she rubbed her face. 

What a mess. What a fucking, fucking mess. 

They would probably hold her pre-trial detention for a couple of weeks while she awaited her trial. It wasn't hard to see how that would end. With even more prison time. It had never crossed her mind that she might give birth to her child in prison. 

It sucked to know that the three men were at least still together, while she was all alone. She suspected that protection was less urgent in a women's prison, but she wasn't entirely sure. There were no angels there either. If one of SAMCRO's enemies found out that she was connected to them, she would be an easy target. And she doubted the Sons would care about her safety at all. Kozik and Juice were probably the only ones who didn't feel betrayed and she couldn't imagine that Jax would listen to a word they'd say. Without a doubt, he would let them crawl to earn back his trust. 

Alex bit the inside of her cheek. She always thought Juice and she would be together when the truth came to light. But no — they wouldn't be. Juice would be confronted with keeping her identity to himself all alone and she would be behind bars, wondering whenever she would speak to him again. They hadn't offered her a call, as she believed was her right; apparently they weren't very fond of gang members. 

She laid down on the hard bed and closed her eyes. Rubbing her stomach, she sighed. 

Sorry little one. You'll probably come into this world amidst the filth of society. 

. . .

Since the moment Alex left, there was a heavy feeling in Juice's chest. Why did it take so damn long for them to return? At least five hours had passed by. Although the workshop was closed, he was still working on a bike. Keeping himself busy was the only way to escape his morbid thoughts. 

She would be fine. 

His brothers had been to a meeting like this a hundred times. 

But exactly that was the reason why he was so worried now. They never came back this late, they never ignored their calls. He had already sent Alex a text, but she hadn't answered. 

Close to 8, Jax entered the garage. "We're heading out, to see what's going on."

Juice nodded and walked over to his bike immediately. He was close to a nervous breakdown, so at least he was glad they were going to do something. 

Bobby offered to stay in the clubhouse with Jaeden. With a wave of his hand Tig told Rat to get on his bike, there after the four of them left the compound. 

Juice's bottom lip felt bruised once they pulled up the abandoned lot. He even tasted blood. The bikes were still lined up at the side, accompanied by two vans. Drawing his gun, Juice walked to the other side of the building, following Jax's orders. 

There was nobody around, they concluded a couple of minutes later. As if their men — and Alex — had vanished. 

"Are they taken?" Rat wondered. 

Tig looked at the van of the other crew. "Why would they leave their own vehicles behind?"

"I dunno." Jax sighed, rubbing his face. "I don't fucking know."

. . .

News didn't arrive until next morning. Juice had slept in the clubhouse. That is — he had been lying in his bed, not sleeping at all. Thousands of dark scenarios had been plaguing him, in which Alex had been tortured in the most gruesome ways. His throat felt sore because he was fighting his tears the whole time. Exhausted, he sat down at the table. There were five of them in Chapel. Jax, Bobby, Tig, Kozik and him. That was all that was left of their club right now. 

"I just got a phone call from Chibs," Jax started, his face grim. "He called from Stockton. Someone ratted on us. The cops were waiting for them and they arrested each and every one of them. They were outnumbered. Someone must have told them about the deal."

"Those fuckers," Tig grumbled. "They—"

"It wasn't one of them," Jax said. His eyes rested upon Juice. "It was one of us."

Juice felt ice cold. What was Jax implying now? Was he stating that this was Juice's fault? 

"What — what do you mean?" he stammered. 

"Four of us have been arrested. Only three of them have arrived in Stockton. The prospect is gone."

"Maybe he escaped, or —"

Jax sighed. "He was taken to the police station and interrogated, Chibs was able to confirm that. There after, our guys haven't seen the kid. He screwed us." He stared Juice square in the eye. "He screwed you."

Juice shook his head. No — this made no fucking sense. There had to be another explanation. He was hundred percent sure that Alex wasn't some undercover agent. It was impossible. 

And then it hit him. 

He knew why she wasn't with the others. 

"Shane is sent to prison."

The others stared at him in confusion. Except for Kozik, who was rubbing his face, sighing. 

"Explain yourself?" Jax insisted.

"It's a women's prison," he said quietly, bending his head and staring at the table top. "He — she's sent to a women's prison."