15 - Cow Girls

A week had passed since Alex had stabbed herself. Except for Miles, all her brothers had stopped by at least once, but none of them as often as Juice. The past week they'd really gotten closer. They'd watched at least half of her DVD collection and they talked for hours – one time even the sun was already coming up. He'd told her that night how the vote had ended: the deal with the Galindo Cartel had pulled through. That same day he'd also spent some hours at the police station for bullshit reasons. Smashing up the clubhouse clearly hadn't been satisfying enough for the pigs and they had been looking for more toes to step on. Juice had seemed a little upset, even though it was a petty charge because he'd had a bag of weed on him while having a permit. Alex had the feeling there was more to it than just that, but she hadn't insisted. He knew he could tell her whatever was keeping his mind busy and if he still decided to keep things to himself, she accepted that. After all, they had only known each other for a week, even though it felt much longer.

Tonight she was going to the clubhouse for the first time this week. Because the wound wasn't completely healed she had permission to stay away a little longer, but it was Halloween tonight and she wanted to celebrate it with the others. She just wanted to have a party with them. Especially at a moment like that, she hoped to feel something of the brotherhood that had persuaded her brother to stay with these people.

It however wasn't without taking risks again.

Juice had told her it was customary for the prospects to dress as girls; they were forced to wear a dress and make-up. Without a doubt, it would be hilarious to see Miles all dressed up and with lipstick, but she feared the reactions she would trigger herself. While the others would embarrass themselves, she was afraid she would be looking too good. Hopefully, it would only bring her some giggling responses because she really looked like a chick, but in the worst case, the penny would drop and they would see her for what she really was: a girl.

At least she was feeling worried enough to give Mila a call, to reach out for her help. It hadn't been an easy decision: she hadn't talked to her friend in a week because she'd been too scared to tell her what she'd done. She should have told her about the knife attack immediately – in the meantime, she wouldn't buy it.

When the bell rang, she felt a knot in her stomach. She'd postponed this moment far too long. Staying in character just had been easier without anyone reminding her of her old life and that was something she should feel ashamed of. Mila had always been there for her.

She walked to the front door and gave her friend an apologetic smile.

"Man, I thought you'd grown tired of me." Mile gave her such a tight hug she almost fell.

"It was a rough week," Alex muttered as she turned around and led her to the living room. "I've been stabbed and I was too scared to tell you."

Mila's mouth dropped open. "You what?!"

"Yeah. Club shit." Nervously she ran a hand across her head. These days she was lying so easily she was doing it now without even thinking about it and it gave her a bad feeling. As if she was losing herself. "That's at least what I told the guys," she added therefore, sitting down on the couch.

With large, expectant eyes Mila looked at her.

"That shit with Miles was getting worse and worse and they wanted us to fight it out in the ring. You know, without a shirt. So I wounded myself to get out of it."

"Holy shit, Lex! Are you out of your mind? Did you stab yourself?" Her eyes almost popped out of their eye sockets, as she was so stunned.

"I'm almost healed," Alex dismissed her worries. "Have been home all week."

"While you were wounded? Jeez, I could have helped you!"

"The guys were around."

Mila raised her eyebrows and gave her an intense look. "The guys? Or one guy in particular?"

Alex felt her cheeks getting hot.

"Unbelievable..." Mila shook her head. "He knows you're a girl?"

"No," she muttered. "Don't dare to tell him."

"And you're right," Mila grumbled. "Man, he will be really pissed off when he discovers you lied to him all this time."

"I know, okay?" She sighed. "We just get along very well. He needs someone to vent to also. There's so much shit going on." She kept silent for a while. She didn't plan to talk much longer about Juice. "There's a Halloween party tonight and you need to go there with me. None of the guys who've been in prison have seen you, they're starting to doubt you even exist."

Mila heaved a deep sigh. It was clear she'd rather do something else. Still, she nodded. "Okay, fine. You got a costume?"

"I eh... I have to dress up like a girl. All prospects got to." She hesitated. "So I need something that is both sexy and ridiculous, making me not look like a girl."

Mila looked at her with a blank face. "Right... Got any more impossible demands?"

. . .

The most ridiculous thing was her hair ‒ the only thing she hadn't changed. Mila had gotten her a dress she'd worn to a theme party of her university last year. It was equipped with a matching cowboy hat and a pair of boots that were too small for Alex. The dress ended an inch above her knees and there was a belt around her waist with a silver horseshoe. There was no cleavage visible and the garment was a bit wide because Mila wasn't as skinny as Alex. She had decided to wear no make-up because that really made her look like a girl. If they really insisted on it, they had to put on her face themselves ‒ and they would most likely ruin it anyway.

She felt more insecure in a dress than ever. Maybe she wasn't looking like an outspoken female, but manly, well... no. The only thing that made her feel manly now, was her unshaven legs.

"I'm nervous," she sighed to the reflection in the mirror.

"You're going to be fine." Mila patted her shoulder. She was wearing a cowboy costume herself and for the occasion, she'd stuck a mustache to her face. "Just keep on the side."

"Miles hasn't seen me for a week, he must really miss me," Alex grumbled. "I bet he's going to do all he can to focus everyone's attention on me."

"Let him be," Mila snorted. "Don't let him turn you inside out. We're just going to have fun, you and I. It's been far too long!" An excited smile appeared on her face. "And I'm so curious about that new flame of yours! Let's just hope he won't look too closely at you tonight." She winked.

Alex feigned a smile, but she lacked enthusiasm herself. Actually she didn't look forward to the fact that Mila would get to know Juice and deep down she knew that was also a reason she'd kept her friend away the past week.