73 - Screwed

For the second time, Alex broke into the same house. Although the lights were on, there was no one to be seen. For a moment her eyes lingered on the kitchen table on which Juice and she had done it a couple of weeks ago. Behind the ski mask she was wearing, her lips curled into a smirk at the memory. 

Her gloved hand stroked a pile of baby magazines. "She's pregnant..." she muttered. "Hey, she's pregnant," she said a little harder to the other two men, who were about to go upstairs. "Don't hurt the baby."

Frankie snorted, then he went upstairs. Alex paced around the house while the two men went to the bedroom. During the previous times she had been on watch at the door, still able to keep an eye on the guys. Now, she could only guess what was happening up there. 

Nervously she bit her knuckles. This had to stop. How many people did Clay want to assault? It was effective; people were losing faith in the MC, but she was afraid the damage would be too hard to restore. She heard screams, things falling over. Her stomach cringed, the guilt making her taste bile. This woman was innocent, this was so wrong... The only reason they went after her, was because she was the wife of a police officer. 

Suddenly she heard a gunshot.

"Oh fuck," she cursed. Immediately she pulled her gun and ran upstairs. She was met by panicking voices; once she left the stairs she saw Rita's body lying on the ground, blood streaming from a wound in her stomach. 

"What have you done?!" Alex's voice cracked. 

"Get outta here!" one of them yelled. 

"You wanna leave her like that?!" 

"Yeah, move!" Frankie gave her a push. "There's nothing we can do," he hissed. "We'll hang."

Alex stared past him, to the rapidly bleeding woman. Her eyes were closed. Tears were stinging in her own eyes; the thought that they had shot a pregnant woman was one thing, but that they also wanted to let her die to save their own asses, filled her with disgust. In a rage, she pointed the weapon upwards and shot a bullet through Frankie's chin. 

Gogo screamed and started to fire back, she dove to the side and shot him in the chest. Without paying attention to her dying brothers she jumped over Frankie's body. After pulling the mask from her face and taking off the gloves, she knelt down next to Rita. Immediately she rolled up her shirt. For a moment she saw flashes of Kozik's bleeding stump; bile was piling up in her throat. But she had saved him. She could save this woman too. 

Grabbing her phone, she called the ambulance. At the same time she tried to stop the bleeding. 

"Everything will be okay," she told the woman. "It will be okay." She stroked her black hair.

Rita opened her eyes, they were filled with fear. In the meantime Alex started to put pressure on the wound. How long would it take for the ambulance to get here? At least ten minutes, she estimated.

"You got needle and thread?" 

The victim's lips were quivering, she thought to hear 'kitchen'.

"Okay, put pressure on the wound. Be right back."

Quickly she stood up, slithered across all the blood pouring down in the room and ran downstairs. At the same time she tried to figure out how the hell she could talk herself out of this. Instead of searching for the first aid kit immediately, she went outside and hid her ski mask and gloves underneath the fence.

She took a few deep breaths. Think, she had to think... If she started to worry too much about her own downfall, she couldn't give the woman the help she needed. Maybe there was still a way out. Again she grabbed her phone, this time she called Juice. 

"I'm in deep shit," she said. "I can't explain things now, but you have to help me. Take my bike to the street behind Roosevelt's house. And you have to go to the alley behind his garden, underneath the fence are gloves and a ski mask."

"Alex, what..."

"Please, Juice. If you don't help me out, I'll be in jail tomorrow. I gotta go, someone's bleeding to death. Please don't say anything to the others, I'm going to fix this."

She ended the call, ran back inside and opened all the cupboards until she had found the first aid kit. Back in the bedroom, she noticed that Rita was still conscious, although her eyes told Alex that she could faint any minute. The woman screamed when Alex pushed the needle through her skin and started to stitch the wound. It was messy and she hadn't even disinfected it, but there was a sense of urgency. She had already lost too much blood. 

"You're doing great. Everything will be fine," she rambled to the woman. "The ambulance is on its way." She leaned over the woman to look her in the eye. "They can be here any minute." With a bloody hand she grabbed that of the woman and squeezed. Agony was burning in her eyes. 

"My - my baby," she whispered. 

"You'll be alright. The hospital is close by."

The front door was slammed open, running footsteps went up the stairs. Alex knew she was screwed. If Rita survived this, Roosevelt might have the feeling that he owed her something. If his wife died, he would destroy her. He would discover who she was and let her rot in a cell for the rest of her life.

Internally she was cursing Clay. It had to be easy, just sending some others to do the dirty work. Thanks to his incompetence by picking two dumb assholes, she was in deep shit now. 

Roosevelt fell down on his knees beside her, raking a hand through the hair of his wife. Alex let go of her hand so he could take it. When the man started to sob, Alex felt a pang in the chest. She could have prevented this. She could have told Jax what was going on, then nothing of this would have happened. 

Carefully, Alex brushed the stitched wound with a towel. Blood was still seeping out, but it was no longer bleeding heavily. Laying a hand on Roosevelt's shoulder, she gave him an encouraging squeeze. 

"She's gonna make it."

With hopeful eyes he looked up. As he looked at her a little longer, he frowned his eyebrows. Suspicion filled his eyes now. "Aren't you a Son?"

"A prospect."

Roosevelt nodded slowly to the two bodies close to the door. "You did that?"

 "Yeah."

"Who are they?"

Her jaw tensed. "People who were supposed to protect this town."

He held her glance. "They're Sons too?"

She nodded, hesitating. "They transferred not so long ago, right before the raids started. They were always whispering and I didn't trust them, so I followed them today since nobody cares about the opinion of a prospect."

It wasn't hard to sound embittered. Roosevelt turned his head to his injured wife again and stroked her forehead. "Hold on baby," he said softly. "Just a little longer."

A few seconds later the wailing siren of an ambulance sounded. Two paramedics ran upstairs, lifting the woman on a gurney immediately. 

"I have to ask you to go to the police station with my colleague," Roosevelt said. 

Alex nodded meekly. From the corner of her eye she watched how two cops knelt beside the two dead Sons, pulling off their ski masks. With dead eyes they stared forward. Alex swallowed; not even half an hour ago she had entered this house with these two men. Now she was the only one leaving it. 

A cop motioned her to follow him, and Alex sat down in the back of the police car. She wasn't cuffed, but she was still afraid they would treat her like a suspect. In some robberies she had stayed out of sight, so not in all cases three men were reported. Hopefully she would benefit from it, but still... she was quite uneasy about it. 

Not to mention how the Sons themselves would react... She had killed two of their brothers. Dead penalty would be a logical result, she knew that damn well. Even if they wouldn't kill her, she could say goodbye to her top rocker; Jax would completely lose it because she had not filled him in and had followed the guys on her own. And what if Greg or Clay would rat her out? She was definitely screwed.