14 - Missions

Miles gritted his teeth as he watched Juice and Shane leave. Like every time the boy was around, all his muscles tensed. He wasn't a resentful person at all, but Shane... since day one he made his blood boil.

Something was off with him. Miles just felt he couldn't be trusted, but up to now all he had were his feelings and he couldn't share his objections with anyone. He was just a prospect. If he hinted that he didn't trust one of his so-called brothers without having proof Shane was really keeping things from them, they would kick him out of the club. For the brotherhood, nothing was more important than trust. But Miles couldn't change the fact he just didn't trust the guy. He'd tried to ignore the feeling, but it became only worse and by now he just hated the guy.

It was that simple.

And he was the only one.

The past days he'd tried to push the guy to his limits, which was easier now Shane's sponsor wasn't around, but he still didn't dare to express his disgust. Kozik valued his peace, said he had a good brain and that he had nerves of steel.

How he'd come to that conclusion, Miles didn't know. He rather had the feeling Shane was always nervous as if he was trying to hide something. He was often looking around like he was afraid to get caught and he was always so reserved, so well-behaving... Miles couldn't imagine what he hoped to find within an MC. And the way he'd stroked Half-Sack's picture yesterday... A shiver crept down his spine. He was a real freak.

But all the others were blind.

Now Miles was putting on his shirt again and prepared to leave, he heard the others talk. They found it impressive that Shane had tried to hide a stab wound and that he'd been even willing to fight with it.

But Miles found it more suspicious than impressive. Suddenly becoming some kind of hero was pretty convenient. Nobody would forget an action like this and Miles had the feeling all other prospects faded next to Shane. Miles was only separated by few weeks from his full-patch and more and more the thought plagued him that Shane would fuck things up for him.

He took a deep breath before he would punch someone in the face and walked outside. He would find out what secret Shane was keeping. He would find evidence to prove Shane's unreliability and then they would be impressed by him.

. . .

Her plan had succeeded. She still couldn't fully believe it.

Things had gone a bit different than planned: she hadn't expected Juice to drop down on her couch fifteen minutes after the canceled fight. She felt pretty awkward now that he was in her house. Luckily she'd known there was a chance one of the men would ever enter her house, so she'd hidden her pictures.

"You goin' to tell me what happened?" Juice asked after he'd figured out how the espresso maker worked.

Alex shrugged her shoulders and grumbled as the wound below her chest stung. "There ain't much to tell. I just wanted to put the key into the keyhole when someone stepped out of the shadows and stabbed me. I screamed and when a passerby came to help, the man snarled something I didn't understand and ran for his life. A woman took me to the emergency room, where they patched me up."

Juice's glance made her feel a little nervous. He kept staring at her as if he could sense she was lying. She even started to sweat and quickly aimed her eyes at the mug in her hands.

"You should have told me. This morning."

The hurt in his voice surprised her. She stared at the ground. "I figured you had enough on your plate."

Through her eyelashes, she peeked at him. He'd turned his body toward her, his back against the armrest, his left knee against the backrest and his right foot on the ground. Her heart started to beat faster as she imagined how it would feel to snuggle up to him. To feel his hard chest against her back and to be surrounded by his strong arms. And how her body would shiver as his lips traveled down her neck and his warm breathing would brush her skin...

"You shouldn't neglect your own feelings." His voice pulled her out of her daydream. "I'm burdenin' you with my shit too. You're supposed to do the same."

Alex smiled lightly while blowing in the warm drink. "I still have to get used to that," she admitted. "I just... I just never had someone I could always vent to."

It was partially true. She could tell everything to Mila, but she wasn't always listening. Then she was physically present, but her head was too full with her own thoughts.

"Would you have kept your mouth shut if there hadn't been a fight?"Juice asked, his eyes a little wider.

She shrugged her shoulders. "Dunno. It just felt strange to say 'hey guys, I got shivved last night.'"

Juice pulled up the corner of his mouth.

Alex focused on her mug again. Looking away from his lips was becoming harder and harder and she could feel the truth nearing her own lips. A part of her wanted to tell him who she was. They had a connection, maybe they could go on a real date if she told him she was a girl and stopped with all of this. Maybe she would miss the chance to be with the love of her life because she was so desperately looking for the presence of her brother.

He was gone. But Juice was still here.

And he'd awaken something inside her that hadn't been there for a very long time.

But still... She had known Juice for only three days. She didn't want to give up her plan so quickly, no matter how much she liked him.

"You told your girl about it?"

Alex forced her thoughts to go back to the conversation. Slowly she shook her head. "No... she's still angry."

"She is? Shit man..."

She nodded slowly. "Yeah... you better keep that in mind when you have a girl yourself. Don't spend the night in the house of a handsome man." She showed him a crooked smile as she saw him smirk. "Or with a hot girl. Have the feeling she wouldn't have liked that either."

"I'll remember that," he answered with a grin that made her tingle from top to toe. He stood up and knelt down in front of her DVD collection.

Alex watched his arched back and the inches of skin right above his waistband. Then her eyes wandered off to his jeans that sat tight around his good-looking ass and she felt her longing for him flame up again. Quickly she turned away her head before he would feel her scorching gaze. The thought of her becoming that new girlfriend, she shoved as far away as possible.

Keep your mission in mind. You didn't jam a knife in your stomach to jump into bed with him. If you'd really wanted that, you should have thought about that before you carried out such a desperate action.