{Marliza} She (75)

- Maria Reynold's POV -
- Modern -

Am I allowed to look at her like that?

The bright sparkle in her eyes brings my hopes up as she stares at the cake. Her wonder of which to choose made her have a concentrated face. Her eyes stared with focus as her tongue stuck out slightly. Decisions could be difficult for her, especially when it came to sweets.

I wanted to stare forever. The way she made me feel was impossible to explain. The little things she did made me want to see more of her.

Could it be wrong
When she's just so nice to look at?

From the side of the little shop, I noticed her boyfriend touch her hand. Their hands intertwined, causing a feeling in my gut. Her eyes found his as she finally decided which dessert she would like. The way she smiled made me smile. I then realized she wasn't smiling at me but at her boyfriend.

And she smells like lemongrass and sleep
She tastes like apple juice and peach
Oh, you would find her in a Polaroid picture

She found me amusing as we became friends. Her sisters adored our friendship, and they even thought we were together when I met them. The sweetness in their tones matched their sister. It was nice to know her family was sweet like her.

She once asked me if she could test something out. I agreed, but hesitated at what she was thinking. Her thinking face was as if she was choosing another dessert. It was cute.

She touched our lips together for a split second. The spark that was left after she pulled away made my heart flutter in my chest. It was something I've never felt before. She seemed focused and uncertain, apologizing for suddenly kissing me. I told her I didn't mind, but she took it as a friend-like gesture.

And she...
Means everything to me

She told me to never tell her boyfriend, as he can be a little aggressive at times. I understood, promising not to speak a word. She trusted me with her life, which brought butterflies to my stomach.

I'd never tell
No, I'd never say a word

I kept my promise, watching as she fell deeper in love with her boyfriend. She smiled brighter with every photo they took. I scrolled through her Instagram page, finding one picture of her and I. I kissed her cheek and she was smiling, with the caption "Love my best friend."

And oh, it aches
But it feels oddly good to hurt

The rest of her pictures were with her boyfriend or sisters. The smile she showed was brighter, bigger. It was hard to see, but I am glad she is happy. What makes me upset is that she doesn't smile at me like that. It hurt. But she's happy.

And she smells like lemongrass and sleep
She tastes like apple juice and peach
Oh, you would find her in a Polaroid picture

I stayed up in the bed she owned. She slept peacefully next to me, letting me stay over since we wanted to go shopping tomorrow. I stared at her beautiful face, wanting to touch her lips with mine again. I wanted to remember the feeling. The spark I missed dearly was missing as I touched my lips with my finger.

As I stared at her, I could tell that she could be a model. The way she was perfectly beautiful made me jealous that someone else could have her and I couldn't. I wish that I could keep her for myself.

And she...
Means everything to me

I bought her a stuffed animal at the mall. I felt it was appropriate since she did want it. I smiled as she thanked me, hugging me tightly. Heat rushed to my cheeks as she let go, skipping off with the teddybear tucked in her arms. I ran after her, wanting to keep that fuzzy feeling in my stomach.

And I'll be okay
Admiring from afar

I watched as her boyfriend took her hand and kissed her gently. She kissed back, trying not to smile into the kiss. The gut feeling of jealousy returned as I watched in the seat across from them. She let me join her for lunch and her boyfriend showed up unexpectedly. Inviting him was not my plan, but she invited him over and he sat with us.

But she's happy. If she is happy, I am happy.

'Cause even when she's next to me
We could not be more far apart

I was left behind as she ran off with her boyfriend. I did tell her it was fine to do so, but the feeling of regret seeped into my stomach as they ran off. I missed her wanting to hang out with me instead of her boyfriend. I wish I made her happy.

And she tastes like birthday cake and storytime and fall

I remember how she hugged me tightly and kissed me when she wanted to "test something out." I missed how her lips felt on mine, even if it was just barely a second. I wanted that feeling, the spark of loving someone.

But to her
I taste of nothing at all

But she didn't love me.

And she smells like lemongrass and sleep
She tastes like apple juice and peach
Oh, you would find her in a Polaroid picture

I still remained her friend. I watched her from afar, loving every minute we spent together. Her boyfriend soon became her husband. I was one of the bridesmaids at the wedding. Watching her be happy meant everything to me. I still love her, but she would never love me back.

And she...
Means everything to me
Yes, she means everything to me
She means everything to me

---

"She" by Dodie Clark

Published: 2-7-20