{Jamilton} Back In The Day (40)

▲▽Alexander Hamilton's P.O.V.▼△
★Modern AU★
★・・・・・・★ ・・・・・・★

My mother watched as my father left the house with his luggage. 

"He's gone on vacation," she'd always tell me when I'd ask. 

My mom then decided it was best to move to New York City for the time being, since she had lost her job in the Caribbean. 

So we moved to New York; my brother, my mother, and I.  It was now the three of us against the world. 

When I was ten, my mother got me into a school and I was put in as a fourth grader.  I met a lot of students and I studied hardly any.  I made friends, like Thomas Jefferson, Hercules Mulligan, and James Madison.  They became my best friends, but it was mostly Thomas. 

Thomas was one of the rich kids with amazing parents. They got him whatever he wanted. He always wore magenta shirts and always dressed nice.

Then there was me in a torn up shirt, shorts and no shoes. We never did have enough for shoes.

Thomas and I would go hang out after school, finding new places to adventure and find the unexpected.  Once, Thomas and I found our way through a forest at the back of the school, past the soccer fields and baseball fields, past the playground.  We found a field covered in different colors of wild flowers.  The day we found that spot, we decided that this would be our meet-up place.

From then on, we met up there.

Until my mother and I became terribly sick. 

I was no longer able to go to school, my mother the same for her work.  We had hardly any money and James tried to keep up with everything.  Being only 16 while I was 12 was hard on him.  He had to take two jobs and help me and my mother stay well fed.  He kept the house living and kept us alive for as long as possible. 

My mother soon passed away and I threw myself into books and learning, clear of sickness.  I went back to school and never stopped for anyone.  Hercules and James stopped trying to hang out, but Thomas was a bit more consistent. 

After a year, my brother decided it was best to leave New York and go back to the Caribbean.  I looked at Thomas the last day I was at school and I wished him a small goodbye, giving him a hug and a small journal of everything I felt during those years. 

James and I went back to the island and stayed with our cousin, Peter.  He became a part of our lives as we lived on, wishing we had enough money to have a funeral for our mother. 

When I turned 17, a hurricane destroyed my town.  I watched my brother die in the hands of the hurricane.  I then began to drown in the water that was nonexistent.

Until it was existent. 

I began to drown in the water that filled my lungs, trying to swim up to catch my breath.  Peter, my cousin, saved me and helped me to safety.  From there, we watched the destruction of the hurricane on our home.

A year passed and I wrote and read and studied.  I had my nose so far in the books that I didn't know Peter wasn't okay until he killed himself, his lifeless body hanging from a rope.