{Jamilton} No Time To Waste (P. 2) (63)

▲▽Alexander Hamilton's P.O.V.▼△
★Modern AU★
★・・・・・・★ ・・・・・・★

"You know he didn't mean it," Maria mumbled, her hands tucked into her pockets from the fall weather.  "Thomas is just worried, I'm sure."

"You should've heard him.  He accused me of cheating on him," I replied.  I buried my face into the scarf Mulligan made me last Christmas.  "I work damn hard.  I should get something for that, shouldn't I?"

Maria was silent for a few minutes, walking beside me as we walked towards work, being an hour early than needed.  "I put in my two weeks notice."

I looked at her, my eyes widening.  "What?"

"I start my new job tomorrow and I leave tomorrow," Maria looked over to me.  "I recommend you do the same."

"That's the only job I have, Maria.  I can't just put in a two weeks notice and never work," I told her, shoving my gloved hands into my pockets.  "How come you didn't tell me this until now?"

"I didn't think you'd be upset," Maria stopped walking.  "I thought you'd be happy for me.  I'm finally moving on from that hell hole.  You should, too.  Go work for Washington again.  That's where I'm going."

"I thought you'd be on my side," I stomped my foot on the ground like a toddler.  "What the hell?"

"Alexander, stop acting like a child," she spat out.  "If you don't want to be happy for me, fine.  Keep working there for all I care.  I'm moving on with life.  You should, too."

I watched as she walked towards work, ignoring my presence.  I sighed, trying to shake off that conversation before walking into work.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Quietly, I watched as Adams left the office at 10 PM, his usual grumbles being targeted towards me.  I pulled out the box that I had put in my pocket and opened it, looking at how the ring shined from the light I had turned on on my desk. 

"What's that?"

I jumped, turning to see Maria, her back leaning on the door that led to the stairs.  "It's what I've been saving up for," I reply, looking at the ring once more.  "That's why I took this job when I did.  I want-"

"You want to propose," she interrupted.  "You needed the money to buy the perfect ring."

I nodded, not needing to reply.  I glanced at the stack of papers I had.  "I don't deserve him."

Maria walked over and sat down on my desk, sitting close to my papers.  "You should go home, work from there."

"Adams says no papers leave the office," I tell her.  I place the box down on the desk and rub my face in frustration.  "Maybe I should just quit and find another job with less time in work and more time with Thomas."

Maria was silent for a little while.  I glanced at her to see her staring off.  "Maybe I can help you out with that."

"How?  Washington definitely doesn't want me after I freaked out in front of everyone at that meeting," I say. 

"But you said something happened at that meeting," Maria pointed out, standing up.  "Maybe you can help them out as a company."