{Madilton} "I can't sleep, can I stay here?" (68)

▲▽James Madison's P.O.V.▼△
★Modern AU★
★・・・・・・★ ・・・・・・★

My eyes wandered over to the boy in the kitchen, stirring up some soup for me. I became sick, again, so I had stayed home from work and tried to stay away from Alex so he wouldn't become sick. I even slept in the extra room, since any infections could spread easily from me to him.

He gently set the chicken noodle soup in front of me, on a tray he had set up. He placed a green tea in front of me, as well, making me smile. "Thank you," I said, taking the spoon out of the bowl and blew gently to get rid of the steam.

He smiled and sat down near me, but not too close, since I had told him multiple times, he couldn't sit too close. He was sometimes desperate for my gentle touch, a warm hug or a hand to hold, but I never let him touch me when I was sick.

"Are you sure you want to sleep in the extra room?" I heard him ask pitifully. "I can sleep there and you can sleep in our bed."

"I'm okay, Alex," I say gently, wanting to touch his face for comfort, but resisted. "It'll only last a day now, I'm sure."

Alex was hesitant, but accepted what I had said. "Okay."

We sat and ate our soup, watching the movie that had turned on TV. I kept looking over at the long haired Caribbean, his brown eyes sometimes locking with mine.

After the supper we had, we did our own thing in silence, turning off the TV. I had reached for the book I had began, starting where I had left off last. He took out his laptop, working on something that was probably due next month. I rolled my eyes with a smile, knowing he's a bit of an overachiever.

"I love you," Alex suddenly spoke out, looking over at me. "You know that?"

"I do," I say, looking at the long-haired boy. "I love you, too."

My boyfriend smiled, letting my words sink in, before looking back at his laptop. I smiled as well, going back to my book.

-

Hours had passed and it was about 10 at night, a decent time for us to go to bed. "Alex, let's go to bed," I spoke softly to not startle the younger boy. "I'm tired."

Alex nodded, saving his work and shutting his laptop. He placed it on the coffee table, knowing I wouldn't wake up in the night to come get him if he was still awake. When I was sick, he made my life a little easier by going to bed at the same time I do, just so if I needed something in the night, he could wake up without being too tired.

He watched as I crawled into the bed of the extra room. "Are you sure you want to take this bed?"

"I already got in, Alex," I murmur, looking at the boy I loved. "I love you."

"I love you more," he gingerly turned off the light, letting the dark consume me. "Goodnight, dear."

I didn't reply, already drifting to sleep.

That is, until, I heard a thunder clap and a loud gasp.

I fluttered my tired eyes open, feeling slightly better than before. I must've slept a bit, since I felt better already.

"Alex?" I murmured as I watched the door open. "Is that you?"

Alex became quiet as he closed the door behind him. "I can't sleep, can I stay here?"

I smiled at the innocent boy, opening my arms for him to tuck himself under the covers. "You don't have to lie to me, babe," I whisper, letting him crawl into my arms. "I know when you're scared."

More thunder echoed through the night, Alex's body becoming molded with mine. Our legs intertwined as I held him against my chest, his breaths shaky and ragged. I held onto him tightly, whispering sweet nothings into his ear.

"I love you," I murmured once more, watching as he fell asleep in my arms.

With no reply from the sleeping boy, I gently kissed his head and fell asleep with him.

---

Super short, sorry :(
It's about 9:30 at night and I have work tomorrow so :[ (sad robot)

Published: 6-29-19
Word Count: 691