Coming out

Catarina

It's quite. Really quiet. This is not really normal. My husband Hero, my son Daniel, my daughter Rose and me are having dinner now and Daniel is keeping quiet all the time which is really worrying me. Usually he would talk so much that I need to tell him to be quiet.

"Daniel, sweetie, are you okay? You are so quiet today" I say looking at him and he looks at us before sighing. "Mom, dad, I have something to tell you" he says looking at us nervously and curiosity takes mine and Hero face. "Tell us" Hero says and Daniel takes a deep breath. "I'm gay" he says fastly and we both look at him surprised. "Gay?? Are you freaking kidding me?! You were supposed to be a man to get married in church and have children! I have raised two girls!" Hero says and I put my hand on his trying to calm him down. "Please calm down" I say in a calming tone, but he stands up immediately. "No I won't calm down!" He says before walking to our room and slamming the door.

"Don't listen to your dad, he is just a bit surprised, we are proud of you, son" I say before kissing his forehead. "Thanks mom" he says quietly and I stroke his hand. "Nothing, I'll go talk to dad, if you are done go to your room" I say before walking to our bedroom. Hero is there walking back and forth and I close the door. "Why did you say that?!" I whisper yell to Hero and he looks at me. "Because it's true! Everything is true! He can't love the same gender as him!" He says and I sigh before sitting on the bed. "Sit Hero" I say and he sits next to me.

"Look, I know this is a shock for you, but love is not about the gender and if you have a dick or not, love is about being happy with someone, when you love someone all you want is that person to be happy. Love is an extreme feeling of attachment, affection and need. We don't choose who we fall in love with and if Daniel fell in love with a guy we as her parents should support him and be proud of him" I say and he sighs. "Maybe you are right, I am sorry for everything, I do support Daniel and I am proud of him." He says and I nod my head. "Great, but you should tell that to him, not me" I say and he stands up before walking to the door. "You are right, I will" he says and walks to Daniel room.

Hero

I make my way to Daniel room and knock on the door softly. "Dani, can we talk please" I say as I get in the room slowly. "I am so sorry for what I said" I say sitting on his bed and he looks at me with some dry tears on his face. "Maybe you are right, I am not a man" he shrugs his shoulders and I shake my head. "No you are not, you are my little man and you are about to grow in a big man. Love is not about gender, love is about being happy with someone and being attached to that person, no matter who you love and with who you decide to have family with I'll always support you, okay?" I ask and he nods his head. "Thanks dad, that means a lot" he says and I pull him in a hug. "Don't thank me" I say and we keep hugging like that for some time. I don't remember the last time we hugged like this and spent some dad and son time.