Christmas

Hero

"Do I look good?" My girlfriend asks as we are getting ready to go have Christmas dinner at her family house. "You always do princess" I smile and nod my head. We have been together for two years and a half now and going to that dinner is the least I can do. "Awesome, let's go" she grabs her bag and walks to the door, I follow her behind.
We make our way to her old house and greet everyone inside.

Some minutes pass and to he honest, here is really bored. Everyone is talking in Portuguese which I don't understand and at times everybody laughs including Catarina. I really love to see her happy, but I wish I could go out of here right now.

And then the idea comes to my mind. "I am just gonna go for a quick walk" I say as I stand up and make my way outside. I didn't even bother to listen to the answers cause probably most of them didn't understand me.

While I am walking through the street with snow and a lot of Christmas lights I feel a man figure approaching me and I immediately turn around. There I see nobody else than Catarina dad. "Hi there" he says as he walks next to me. "Hey" I say as I keep walking. I don't know if I should pretend to be chill or to be super polite around him. "Why did you go? Bored eh?" He asks and I just nod my head "yes, I don't understand your language" he chuckles and looks at me "well young man, I came here to talk to you face to face" I gulp a bit scared. Okay, maybe I should be polite. What does he want to talk about?

"I wanted to ask you about my little girl. Are you treating her well? Is she happy?" He asks and I nod my head. Well this is actually better than expected. "Yes, I treat her like a princess, sir, there's no need to worry, she's the happiest" I say smiling thinking of Catarina beautiful laugh.

"Well I am glad she is, as long as she is happy, safe and treated well I won't break your neck, but if that changes you may say bye to some of your bones" he says strictly and I gulp again. Wow this sounds so scary, I have to be really careful.

"She really is happy, trust me, I wouldn't be able to life normally without seeing her smile or laugh" I say with a tiny smile as we make our way back to the house.

Their house is also one of the most beautiful decorated ones, it has a lot of lights, figures on the porch and snow that makes everything way more magical and I only noticed that now.

When we walk inside I hear Catarina soft voice saying "okay guys, let's open the gifts" she smiles softly and everyone takes a seat on the couch.

Boxes and bags go around the room and it's finally my turn to open the gift. I take a little box smiling and open it. At first I got confused about what's inside, but then I realize what is it and my jaw clenches to the floor.

I-It's a positive pregnancy test. A FREAKING POSITIVE PREGNANCY TEST!!

My girlfriend is pregnant! I'lll be a dad of the cutest child ever!

"Oh my gosh" I mumble still looking at the test open mouthed as Catarina looks at me really nervous and insecure "surprise" she says with a small nervous smile and I immediately run to her and hug her tightly. "I am so happy about this, we'll finally be a family!" I say hugging her tightly and she sigs in relief. "Thanks God, I thought you wouldn't like it"

I chuckle and kiss the top of her head. "I love it, thank you for everything you do for me" I kneel down and kiss her belly softly.

Everyone cheers and we share a long passionate kiss on our lips.