Chapter 66: Maximum Insecurity

Start from the beginning

"Alright, we have an hour, mostly because I'd grow bored and lose concentration by that point," said Salvador. "I think those two need to have an important conversation, and it needs to happen sooner rather than later."

With the interruptions over and the permission to continue given, Crock and Munge continued their talk. As the breakout crew had done all of this, Chapter had asked all of his questions to Gaia about his next step.

"You have asked me many questions, most of which I feel you already know the answers. Why are you so inquisitive at this crucial juncture, Chapter? Do you have doubts about the destiny you have chosen for yourself?"

"No, I just needed confirmation. It would disturb me greatly if we were not on the same page."

"I have been harsh on you, but that was because I did not approve of your methods. Now that you are taking the time to be the person you want to be, and not scheming to create division between people..."

"I get it. I could have been more open and honest with people. In fact it was my lack of redeeming qualities that impeded my ability to contact you. How does that saying go? Prison is good for the soul... I think that I have really changed for the better."

"You are stalling, Chapter. We could have started your Conduit training at any time, yet you insist on talking evermore. Is there something wrong?"

"I like to talk. That is not wrong, is it?"

Gaia laughed at Chapter's answer, and said "The longer you spend completely in my realm, the harder it will be to return to yours. Time is of the essence, you must become at least a level one Conduit if you want to return to the real world."

"You've seen right through me, Gaia. The indescribable beauty of your realm has left me feeling inadequate, like nothing of my reality matters."

"Of course your reality matters, Chapter. The beauty you see all around you is only possible because of every being that follows their destiny. If you turn your back on your own, the beauty will become invisible to you."

Crock admitted to Munge that he did not hate her, but thought she had skewed priorities. The latter tried to defend herself, arguing that the safety of herself and her family were not 'skewed priorities'. The former counter argued that she had a new family that she endangered for the safety of her first, which she had seemed so determined to get away from.

"I'm telling you now Crock, I don't know what I want, and I'm sorry for all the crap I put you through."

"That's all I needed to hear, nutmeg."

"Don't go getting all soft on me now."

"I won't. Not until I know what became of everyone else."

"Fair enough, sea rock."

"Are we going to get the story on those names?" asked Patricia, who had been passively listening up until then.

"Nope," said Crock and Munge at the same time, causing the two to look at each other and blush.

As Munge and Crock had their trial to work on, Chapter began his; so too did Vanguard Festival. His virtual hell consisted of a green and purple room with hands extending from the walls. Some waved at him, others were outstretched to greet him. Whenever he would try to shake one of the hands, he would either go right through it, or the hand would be retracted. After several attempts to shake a hand, some of the hands reached out and went straight through his body. Other hands would grab onto him, partially preventing him from moving. He soon found himself restrained, pinned down on his knees, with many hands passing right through him. Some waved, some wiggled their fingers, others still crossing them or making gestures. As he screamed out in confusion and agony, a familiar face manifested in front of him.