KEVIN EMERSON

Knock! Knock!

I groan loudly at the disturbing sound of someone knocking on my bedroom door.

"Come in" I reply still sleepy.

The click of the door annoys me further.

"Good morning, Kevin"

I grumble, covering my ears with a pillow.

 "You should wake up before you get late on your first day of college"

"Hmmm"

"Your dream college" 

The word 'dream' got me moving faster than Maria could spell Jack Robbinson.

Maria is the caretaker of this house, whom Dad has appointed to keep me in check and restrict my 'superfluous' ways of the party. His words, not mine. She is in her mid-forties and was once the nanny of my sister, Amy, after the death of our mother.

Kings Valley is my dream college and with the help of Dad, I finally managed to get admission. Contrary to what he says, I know the reason behind my transfer letter and it is not my academic score. I won't say I am bad but I am also not going to be Einstein any soon. However, Dad's friendship and partnership with the owner of the college.

I jog to the bathroom, leaving bewildered Maria in the room.

After completing my morning business I get ready, skipping my workout.

Today's outfit is a white T-shirt, black joggers, and a white slip-on with an olive green jacket to complement the look.

I came to Seattle two weeks ago and moved to my Dad's apartment, which is now mine. Today is my first day of college so I put extra effort into myself. As the saying goes, the first impression is the last.

With this thought in mind, I jog downstairs for breakfast.

Maria, being a real sweetheart, begins preparing my breakfast plate before I take a seat, understanding my need for urgency.

"Thank you, Maria" Thanking her, I sit down in my chair.

"You seem to be in an exceptionally good mood this morning," she remarks whilst serving me chicken roll, pancake, and black coffee.

"This college has been my dream since high school" I reply before devouring my breakfast, more like inhaling, seeing how fast I am eating.

"Mhm. But this time no girls are allowed in this house" she says in a stern tone but fails to hide her threatening smile. Suffice to say, she has witnessed enough of my reckless way with girls back in California to last a lifetime.

I gesture my palms up in mock surrender and continue eating.

"Slow down, Kevin" she warns me shaking her head in amusement.

What? Can't a guy enjoy his food? These oldies make nonsense rules. To eat slow and other mannerisms which sure I do not follow, if not required.

I finish my breakfast and side-hug, Maria, a bye before running out.

"Take care, Child" she hollers from behind to which I ignore and hop in the backseat of my car.

"Good morning, Kevin" William, my driver, greets me.

"Morning William" I nod still high in excitement.

"To Kings Valley?" he confirms and I'm more than happy to answer.

"Fast please"

He laughs before firing off the ignition.

I am hella excited and I know today is going to be the perfect day, I can feel it in my guts.