Chapter LIII

Over the next two weeks, Grace threw herself into the planning for the Avenger picnic. After cooking and cleaning up breakfast on the Rogers-Barnes floor, she met Pepper on the Administrative floors where they put their heads together to make the arrangements, sometimes calling on Nat for help when Pepper had to take care of Stark Industries' business. Grace soon became quite proficient at making calls to various caters and rental companies. She also had several conference calls with the Mayor to update him on her progress and to "crunch the numbers."

"How's party planning going, Alice?" Tony asked one night at a dinner of Grace's first attempt at one of Steve and Bucky's new favorite dishes, teriyaki stir-fry. "Got the stress migraine yet?"

"Only at moments," she answered, "It's a little more complicated than I thought it would be."

"She is doing a fabulous job," Pepper interjected. "The Mayor called me just this morning to express how impressed with Grace's work he is and how smooth the whole process seems to be going." She smiled at the now blushing Grace. "Seems that you might have a talent."

"It's mainly a matter of prioritizing what needs to happen first, then having patience and not losing it when something goes amiss," Grace mumbled.

"You mean like triage and good poker face?" Tony teased with a smirk.

"What?" Bruce shot Tony a confused look over his bowl of stir-fry.

"Triage," Tony answered. "It's when doctors and nurses in emergencies decided what order to treat the patients in based on who needs help first, Doctor Banner."

"I know what triage is, Tony."

"But isn't that the very definition of prioritizing?"

"I guess so-"

" And when you talk and act like everything is okay even when the patient is bleeding out in front you or something - I think they call it 'bedside manner - That's basically poker face, right?"

"What is your point, Stark?" Clint asked.

"I just think it sounds like she's using stuff she picked up as a nurse right now," Tony shrugged. Just then, his phone buzzed. He pulled it out, looked at the message, grimaced, and looked back up at Grace. "Hey, Alice, you think maybe you could put some of the more practical aspects of that nurse's training into play now?"

".......why?....."

"Got a Spider that got a bit beat up on patrol in Queens tonight."