Chapter XXXVIII

A few days later, Nat was heading toward one of work out rooms that she often used for yoga to warm up for her more strenuous training when she heard music coming from it

A few days later, Nat was heading toward one of work out rooms that she often used for yoga to warm up for her more strenuous training when she heard music coming from it. Nat paused, listening. It was music from Swan Lake. Slowly cracking the door open, she peeked in to find Grace Rogers, in a simple black leotard, perfectly executing the dance.

Grace had blocked out everything except the music and the memorized steps. Her mind whisked her away to stage surrounded by bright lights and an admiring audience. She was wearing a black feathered costume and headpiece as she portrayed Odile, Black Swan...

"Grace?" The soft called abruptly yanked her back to Avengers' Tower. Whirling around in surprise, she looked towards the door and found Natasha standing there.

"Miss Romanoff, you startled me!" she gasped.

A small smirk appeared on the Russian's lips. "You were really into that dance," she commented.

"It is one I have memorized," Grace shrugged.

"Rogers never told us you were a ballerina."

Grace ducked her head. "I wasn't before the war," she murmured.

A look of understanding flit across Natasha's face. "I see." The irony of HYDRA teaching Grace the dance of the Black Swan, a dark mysterious character who was essentially undercover pretending to be someone is was not to trick and hurt people, was not lost on her. "So, I take it Rogers and Barnes don't know about this."

Grace shook her head. "They're training with Clint and Mr. Wilson."

Natasha cocked her head. "How long have you been coming in here to dance?"

"A few weeks."

"Steve mentioned you like to dance in general; why haven't you told them?"

Grace bowed her head again. "I don't want them to think I'm holding on to HYDRA's ways."

"Understandable" Natasha nodded. "So, why keep it up?"

Grace raised her eyes. "It was my secret childhood dream," she said softly. "I never had the heart to tell my family because I knew we would never be able to pay for lessons and supplies."

"But Steve would have nearly killed himself working to try to get them for you," Natasha finished.

Grace nodded. "You know him well."

"I know he loves you, Grace."

Grace nodded again. She looked very small and vulnerable to the spy right then, lost in her thoughts. It only took a few moments for Natasha to come to a decision.

She came all the way into the room and closed the door behind her, a smile growing on her face. "Ya know, it's been a few years since I did any of this stuff. You think you could reacquaint me with it?

Grace raised her head. "You want to dance with me?"

"Sure," Natasha shrugged. "Why not? Probably will be a better warm-up for me, anyway." She glanced a cabinet of dance supplies. "You think Stark has my size of pointe shoes in here?"

A shy smile blossomed on Grace's face. "It wouldn't surprise me."