Chapter XXXIV

"I wonder how it's going?" Bucky said as he sipped the coffee Steve had made.

"Clint's a good guy; I'm sure Grace is fine," Steve answered, but the way he glanced at the door told Bucky that he was worried for his sister too.

Just then, Bruce came in. He immediately went over to the stove and put a kettle of water on to boil.

Steve watched the doctor's jerky tense motions. "Bruce? Everything all right?"

Bruce paused and took a deep breath. "Yeah. It's just...They put her through a lot, you know?"

"What's happening in there?" Bucky asked

"They're taking a little break."

"That bad?" Steve asked sadly.

"Yeah," Bruce nodded. "I'm getting her some tea," He motioned to the kettle and mug he had pulled from the cabinets.

"I'm gonna check on Grace," Bucky muttered, just short of growling.

Sensing his friend's displeasure, Steve intervened. "No, you stay in here with Bruce; I'll peek in on Grace and Clint." He sent Bucky the "don't go Winter Soldier on him" look and left.

Silence reigned for several minutes as Bruce waited for the water to boil and Bucky sipped his coffee.

Finally, Bucky broke the silence. "What did she remember?"

Bruce sighed. "Her field test missions. She was sent to kill a scientist believed to be a double agent."

Bucky flinched.

"Oh, she didn't kill him," Bruce quickly added. "She refused."

"That's why she never went on missions with me," Bucky whispered.

"I imagine so. She said that she never made it passed the field testing," Bruce answered. "She thinks she responsible, though."

Bucky quickly looked at Bruce. "For what?"

"When she didn't kill the scientist, they had him and his whole family killed," Bruce explained. "She blames herself for the wife and children's deaths."

"No, it wasn't her......." Bucky murmured, eyes dropping to the coffee mug in his hands. "I think...I think I was the one who killed them."