Chapter XLIII

Two days later...

"Well, today's the big day, isn't it?" Steve commented over breakfast.

"What big day?" Bucky asked.

"I have my appointment with the mayor today," Grace answered, her nervousness detectable in her voice.

Bucky's eyes widened. "That's today?"

Grace nodded. "My appointment is at 10:15."

Bucky reached over and cover her hand with his. "You'll do fine, Babydoll," he said, gently squeezing her hand. "and Pepper will be there to help you, I'm sure."

Grace lowered her eyes with a small smile. "Thanks, Bucky."

Steve just hid his smirk at the two behind a newspaper.

9:00 AM, Common Floor

Pietro, Wanda, and Clint were enjoying coffee in the living room; Wanda was reading a novel, Pietro (who had decaf for obvious reasons) was flipping through sports car magazines, and Clint was editing missions' reports on a tablet.

Their relatively quiet morning was interrupted by voices in the hallway.

"Pepper, are you sure? This must have cost you a fortune."

"Of course, I'm sure. It was in a consignment shop window looked your size, so I picked it up."

"But it must have been expensive."

Grace and Pepper walked in, dressed for their visit to the mayor's office, and they could see what they were discussing. Pepper wore a white business suit, her hair pulled half up. Grace stood beside her, subconsciously smoothing invisible wrinkles from a vintage-style brown and cream. Brown encased her feet, and she held a matching and cream gloves. Her hair was pinned up in a 40's updo, and pearl earrings graced her ears. One thing that both women had in common was that their lips were painted a rich red.

"Are you sure that I will all right without a hat, Miss Potts?" Grace asked fretfully.

"I'm sure, Grace," Pepper soothed. "They're not really worn in the business and political world all that much anymore."

"Lookin' good, Cinders," Clint said.

Wanda smiled at the petite blonde who nervously thanked Clint for his compliment. "You look very nice, Miss Rogers."

Pietro just stared over the back of the couch he was stretched out on for a few minutes before he spoke up. "Я думаю, що я закоханий. (I think I'm in love.)" Wanda smacked him over the head with her novel, just as Tony walked through with Bruce. He stopped in his tracks at the sight of two women.

"Okay, (A) Why didn't Fury tell me about having H.G. Wells time machine?" Tony asked, pointing at Grace. "and (B) Why did he bring back an actress? Not that I'm complaining; I didn't know he had such good taste."

"No, Tony," Pepper answered. "It's just a vintage styled suit I picked up from a consignment shop across town. I think Grace look very elegant in it." Meanwhile, Grace was blushing a bright rosy color.

"Alice?" Tony did a double take while Bruce tried to not laugh behind him. "Shoot, kiddo, you clean up well. Really well."

"You look very nice, Grace," Bruce added.

"Thank you, Dr. Banner."

Pepper picked up a black office bag containing all of the material for their presentation. "You ready to go, Grace?"

Grace took a deep breath. "As I'll ever be. Should I carry that for you?, Miss Potts?"

Pepper shook her head. "Nope. Today, I'm your assistant," she grinned teasingly. "Shall I have Happy bring the car around, Miss Rogers?"

Grace grinned back softly. "Yes, please," She glanced up at the ceiling. "Mr. JARVIS, could you please tell Steve and Bucky that we are leaving?"

"Of course, Miss Rogers."

"Thank you, Mr. JARVIS."