Chapter XIX

After breakfast, Steve, Bucky, and Grace went into the common floor living space. Grace sat beside Steve on the sofa, while Bucky sat in one of the chairs. Grace spotted the picture that Bucky had been looking at the night before and picked it up.

"Stevie and Schatten," she commented, teaching the black-and-white figures with a faint smile. "Who that?" she asked, pointing to the third figure.

"That's Bucky," Steve answered. Grace looked over to Bucky, then held up the photo for a side-by-side comparison.

"Look different," she said. "Bucky not look happy now," she added softly.

Bucky swallowed at her perceptiveness. Had she always been able to read him that easily? Or was his emotions just that transparent back then? He sighed. "A lot has happened since that picture was taken."

Grace tilted her head curiously. "What happen?" she asked, then slapped her hand over her mouth, looking frightened. She was not supposed to ask questions! Now she would be in trouble!

Seeing her wide eyes, Bucky quickly tried to calm her. "It's okay to ask questions, Grace."

"You aren't in trouble," Steve added. Grace nodded, then tilted her head again as she watched Bucky weigh his answer. He leaned forward with his arms braced on his knees, his shaggy hair half hiding his face.

Grace bit lip and looked up at Steve, as if seeking permission for something. Curious as to what she would do, Steve nodded. Hesitating slightly, Grace slipped from her seat and knelt in front of Bucky. After a moment of deliberation, she took his hands in hers. Bucky eyes flew up to meet hers in surprise. "What happen, Bucky?" she asked again, in a gentle voice.

Bucky sighed and bowed his hand again, looking at their joined hands. "War, Babydoll. War is what happened."

She gently squeezed his hands.

"I'm sorry, Grace; I don't know why I keep calling you that." Bucky let out a frustrated sigh, raking his metal hand through his unruly hair.

"You always called her that, Buck," Steve finally explained.

"I did?"

"Yeah."

"I don't remember that."

"It okay," Grace said. To Steve and Bucky's chagrin, she was blushing. "S-Schatten...not m-mind..." she murmured.

A small grin formed on Bucky's lips. Gosh, she was so cute when she was blush-wait-where did that come from? She was Steve's, his best friend's, sister! He was not supposed to think of her like that...was he? However, he could not resist giving her hand a little squeeze. "Thanks...Babydoll."