Chapter XLII

Sam chuckled at Pietro. "Don't feel too bad, man. My flattery just rolls off her too," he said.

Wanda grinned at Pietro's awestruck face and looked at Steve. "I like her; she can handle my brother's stupidity."

"Grace has always been able to hold her own with the fellas," Steve grinned back.

"Well, growing up with two boys has it's advantages that way," Grace said airily.

"Two?" Wanda asked.

"Steve and Bucky," Grace answered. "Buck was practically a second brother when we were growing up. I think he spent as much time at our apartment as at his folks' house."

Bucky smiled softly. "Your mom around more than mine was, and that's saying a lot, considering her shifts at the hospital," he said. "To a kid, that was big deal."

"Well, lunch was lovely, as always, Grace," Pepper said, standing. "Come up to my office when you're ready to start on the proposal, okay?"

"Of course," Grace nodded, "Just let me get a start on the dishes."

"So, see you in say...half an hour?"

"Yes, ma'am," Grace answered and stood, beginning to gather up empty bowls.

"Here, let me give you a hand, Cinders," Clint said, rising from his seat, but Nat stopped him.

"Actually, I have few things we need to go over for Fury," Nat said and looked at Bucky. "I'm sure Barnes remember enough about KP to help Grace."

"Um...yeah, I guess so," Bucky answered, and began taking dishes from Sam, Clint, and Nat. He could have sworn he saw Nat wink at Steve when she thought no one was looking. What that for? What was she up to?

"Come on, Buck," Grace interrupted his thoughts. She nodded her head towards the kitchen. "These dishes won't wash themselves."

"Coming, Babydoll."