Chapter XXI

After lunch, Steve started doing the dishes, in spite of the working dishwasher, and Grace wordlessly stepped up to dry them

After lunch, Steve started doing the dishes, in spite of the working dishwasher, and Grace wordlessly stepped up to dry them. A small smile grew on Bucky's face as he watched the brother-sister pair working together. Snippets of similar scenes from before the war flickered through his mind, and finally, it landed on one that it was Grace and Bucky doing dishes. However, they were not in the Brooklyn apartment; they were at the war front in Italy.

The memory played in his mind where Grace, who was doing the washing, handed him a tin coffee cup to rinse and dry, his fingers brushing hers and lingering a little longer than necessary as he took it from her. Then it all grew blurry for a moment. The last thing he remembered clearly before he returned to the present was himself taking one of Grace's soap-suddy hands in his and raising it to his lips for a kiss.

That revelation startled Bucky. Steve always said that Bucky had been smooth with girls, but surely he had had more respect for Steve and their friendship than toying with his best friend's sister. Surely he had had respect for Grace than that. Steve was like a brother; Bucky knew that. So, Grace was like a sister...right?

Bucky was pulled from his thoughts when Grace asked Steve what was on their schedule next.

"Um, well, we aren't on any kind of schedule today," Steve answered.

"Stevie and Bucky supposed to practice with Nat and Clint, ja?"

"We can, but we don't have to. Whatever you want to do is fine."

"I do not want to get Stevie and Bucky in trouble."

"We won't, Babydoll," Bucky said, wondering why the endearment just kept rolling of his tongue so easily. "Romanoff and Barton don't tell us what to do. Usually."

"Who does?"

"No one, unless we get called up for a mission," Steve said.

"Mission? You not forced to train for mission?"

"Nope," Bucky shook his head. "We usually do some anyway, though."

"Stevie, Bucky, and Schatten should train," Grace said decisively. "in case of mission."

That took the two super-soldiers by surprise. "What mission do you think you are going on, Grace?" Steve asked.

"I am Bucky-the Soldier's-asset. Was trained to be. Schatten must train for what mission he take me on," Grace answered as if stating the obvious.

"Woah, Babydoll!" Bucky stopped her in her tracks as she tried to leave the kitchen. "You are not my asset. You don't belong to anyone but yourself."

Grace's brow furrowed in confusion. "But Bucky is the Soldier. Schatten is Soldier's schatten. Was trained to be Soldier's shadow."

Another memory suddenly flashed through Bucky's mind. This time, it was early during his time as the Winter Soldier. Probably a year or so after his capture, and not long after they had completely wiped him for the first time.