Chapter X

Frontlines of Italy, November 1942..

"What's cookin', good lookin'?"

Grace rolled her eyes. Two days ago, the shrapnel of a German mortar round brought Captain John Downing back into Grace's delighted company. "Nothing for you, Captain," she answered. "Just a change of bandages." She moved to take the bandaged off his shoulder, but he grabbed her arm with his good hand and pulled right down into his lap. "Let me go!"

Private Peter Hughes, lying just across the aisle, saw it all. "Let Nurse Rogers go, you idiot!" he called.

"Oh, Nurse Rogers is it?" Downing smirked. "Is there a first name that goes with that?"

"Not one that you get to know," she grunted, trying to break free of his grip. Out of desperation, she reached over and pressed on his shrapnel wound, causing him to let out a cry of pain. Grace immediately jumped and away from him.

Just then, Doctor Holloway and Nancy came in. "What going on in here?" He asked sternly.

"Nurse Rogers just isn't exactly gentle in unwrapping wounds, sir," the captain groaned. Grace stared down at him, livid at his out-right lie. However, before she could say a word, the other men in the tent spoke up for her.

"He's full of it, Doc! Don't listen to 'im!"

"He's lying, Doctor Holloway!"

"He yanked her right into his lap," Hughes cried. "Pretty as ya please; no asking permission or anything."

"Relax, men, I believe you," Doctor Holloway soothed. "You, Captain Downing, came with a bit a warning label that you'd go for the nurses. Rogers, what do you have to say in this matter?"

"It's as they said, Doctor," she answered evenly. "I was trying to change his bandage, and he pulled me right down."

"Hmm, getting bolder, Captain?" Nancy sent an unamused glare his way. "Verbal harassment not enough for you?"

"You know him?" Doctor Holloway asked.

"Oh yes, Captain Doll-Dizzy* here made himself known on the voyage across the Atlantic," Nancy answered. "We made our disinterest known then as well."

"I see." Holloway mused. "Well, our only course of action is to move Captain Downing to another tent. I need Nurse Rogers here close to the operating tables," he said. "I send a couple of fellas in here shortly to move him." He turned to leave, then paused. "Oh Rogers, don't forget to come by my desk and fill out the report on this. Messing with women is pretty low in my books, and I want to make sure this goes on his record."

"Yes, sir, as soon as I am finished in here."

Doctor Holloway nodded and left. Captain Downing shot Grace a dark look. "Great, now I'll have a record, all because Nurse Fuddy-Duddy* squealed."

"Well, you shouldn't be trying to take advantage of a dame who has made herself plain." Hughes retorted from across the tent.

"Shut up, Private," Downing retorted.

"He has a valid point," Nancy commented as she came over to change out his bandages for Grace, since the smaller nurse had moved on to the next bed.

Twenty minutes later, two runners came in and took Downing to another tent. By that time, Grace had reached Peter Hughes.

"Thanks for speaking up for me," she smiled softly. "All of you," she added a little louder.

"It's our job to keep you ladies safe from the likes of him," one man answered firmly.

"You're the best nurse we've had; we gotta look out for ya," another man, who looked about ten years Grace's senior, added.

"Besides," Hughes said softly. "there's some lucky fella out there who wouldn't appreciate his girl being treated that way." He pointed to Grace's locket. "It's an unwritten code of brotherhood; we look after each other's folks when we can."

Grace blushed profusely. "Thanks, gentlemen. It's good to know that not all G.I. Joes are jerks."

Two weeks later.

Grace received her second letter at the front. This one was from Bucky.

Hey there, Babydoll.

It's me, Bucky. I finally received my orders today; I leave first thing in the morning. Too bad you are not here to fix breakfast again. Hot breakfast on the day he leaves home can go a long way in keeping a fella's spirit up, and you make it better than anyone else I know.

I'm planning to take Steve and a couple of girls to this "World's Fair" they have here in New York. Should be fun, but it would be even better if you were here to see the sights with us. We might go dancing afterwards.

Who knows, maybe we'll be able to show those Nazis and Italians how to cut a rug properly. My orders are for Italy, you see, so we might just bump into each other in this great, big war.

Well, I've got to go find Stevie and get him ready for the Fair. I'm sure he sends his love and all that. I'll be seeing you soon, Babydoll.

Your "Sarge",
Bucky Barnes

P.S. I guess I ought to confess—I bought you the locket, Grace. I hope you don't mind; I just could not bear the thought of you all by yourself over there. I figured it would be a way for you to keep us fellas nearby. I th We think of you often and cannot wait to see you home safe.

Refolding the letter, Grace let out a sigh and held the tan paper to her chest. Bucky was coming to Italy! However, she could not help but notice the cross-out in the post-script. Had he unconsciously penned that he thought of her? But then, why did he cross it out and change it to "We"? Grace shook her head to clear it. I'm over-reacting. Just focus on the fact that you might get to see him again.

40's slang:

Applesause: used in the place of cuss or swear words (Author's note: Hmmm, I think I like this better than "dang" or "dad-gummit" (-; )

Dolly-dizzy: girl crazy

Fuddy-duddy: old-fashioned