chapter 1

CHAPTER 1

      Melanie... whenever I thought of that name I feel hopeless and lonely, I would always have to remember something good about my past but my present situation shows me how ruined my life is.

     I had to lie to everyone at school about Melanie's where about, I never talked about her or what happened that night to anyone.

     Days turned into weeks, weeks into months, two months to be precise and the sheriff hadn't told me anything about Melanie's case. If she's dead then why can't we find a body? That's the only thing that's pulling me together. For two months I've spent my life without the one person I considered my only family, going to school and back home, working at a place I'm not appreciated. My life is just so messed up and filled with confusion.

    I got up from the window side of my room and moved to my reading table to turn on my computer. Then I started researching, I looked for what that Latin word meant and it showed that it was a spell to summon 'the last star'. I remembered when one of those people said that she had a stars power inside her, but I needed more information so when I searched further I was completely shocked as to what I saw. It said, in 1965, there was an 18 year old girl watching the night sky and at that time, the brightest star came falling down and it gave her... powers. Did that mean Melanie had powers? i thought. if she did that means those people wanted to take it from her. But the question is why, why didn't it work? And why didn't she tell me about this earlier.

      My alarm shrieked, startling me so badly I actually jumped and spun around. I hit the off button, it was 6:00AM and it was time for school. Yes i had woken up an hour earlier to prevent those nightmares from surfacing. I put on a pair of jeans and a black t-shirt. I ran a brush through my long, tangled brunette hair and pulled it into a ponytail. Then I went over to the full length mirror on the back of my bedroom door and did a quick glance over. My legs were way too long, my skin far too pale, and my eyes... they were indigo. Yes weird, I know. But it fit right in with everything that had to do with me. Once I finished getting ready, I trampled across the driveway, climbed in my faded blue Mitsubishi Mirage that made a loud clanking noise every time I pushed on the gas pedal, and headed off to school.

     I had gotten the car six months ago when Melanie and I got really tired of walking to school. I live in a very small, very spread out town called Southfalls. It is known for two things: its famous elk antlers and its hobby of accumulating snow or cold, so living here was like a polar bear trying to live in Hawaii – unbearable and very unpractical. When I graduate in a few months, I am packing my bags and moving to some place warm and one hundred percent mountain free.

                                                                                            ***

     It's always hard to find a parking space here; I always end up driving around the whole parking lot every single day. When I finally found a space I parked my car and got my books then left the car. I like to be in school early and get my things together; so on my way to my locker I felt my body smack into a hard chest.

     "Why don't you watch where you're going." The voice sounded masculine and deep so I supposed it was a guy.

   "I'm so sorry, it was a mistake." I said as I hurriedly packed my now fallen books, I then noticed some of his books had fallen too so I helped him pack them up as well.

       As I stood up, I lifted my head to look at him and I felt a shock. And I'm not talking about the emotional kind of shock, I mean a literal shock. A blaze of electricity fired through my body like I had stuck my finger in an electric socket. I froze, my eyes widening. What the heck? Was I going insane? I felt a zap and let out a gasp. The feeling momentarily took me away until I realized I was in the middle of the hallway, staring at the new guy with my mouth hanging open. I would have been completely mortified too, except to my astonishment – and my – his bright green eyes had widened and were locked on mine, and it almost looked like he could feel the electricity too. My pulse raced as sparks of static nipped at my skin. The more we stared at each other, the more the electricity ignited, and I could almost feel my skin melting. So many different feelings were pouring through me simultaneously, confusion... desire... intensity, I couldn't think straight. I felt an invincible tug, drawing me to him and before I even knew what I was doing, I moved closer to him.