Episode 21: The Downhill Curve

Say it ain’t so
My love is a life taker

I can’t confront you
I never could do
That which might hurt you
So try and be cool
When I say
This way is a waterslide away from me
That takes further every day
So be cool…

Dear daddy,
I write you in spite of years of silence
You’ve cleaned up, found Jesus, things are good or so I hear
This bottle of Steven’s awakens ancient feelings
Like father, step father, the son is drowning in the flood!

—Say It Ain’t So, Weezer

Eileen’s POV:

I guffawed and nearly spat out a mouthful of wine.  Mags was in stitches in front of me, nearly spilling her pint of beer.  “You actually believed me!” she spluttered.  “You thought I was really Hermione; that I had a wand and went on adventures with Harry.  Even believed that I was dating him, too!”

Mags and I went to school together since we were in kindergarten.  We hit it off almost right away.  She had her G.I. Joe doll and me my Barbie.  Rob, as she called her action figure – because by golly if I called it a doll she’d throw a hissy fit – would always be Allie’s knight in shining armor.  He would save her from the jaws of the dragon Smaug. What a brave hero!

Anyway, when we got older and our tastes changed, we started following the adventures of Harry Potter and his trusty friends Ron and Hermione.  One day during recess she decided it would be a brilliant idea to fool around, knowing that I was a very gullible kid, and told me that she was friends with Harry and Ron, and of course, that she was Hermione Granger.  That she went Hogwarts at night and that she was Harry’s girlfriend, just as stated above.  And being that gullible kid I believed everything she said.  I asked her many times to let me go to Hogwarts with her, to let me see her wand, but she made up every excuse so that I couldn’t see it… and, of course, I cried.

“Yeah,” I said with a smile, “I was a pretty gullible kid.”

“That’s putting it lightly,” she guffawed, slurring her words.  “You should’ve seen your face! You were completely devastated.”

“You’d be devastated if you knew your best friend was going to Hogwarts and you couldn’t go with them!” I said in my defence.  “Mags, you knew how much I worshipped those books.”

“How much we worshipped the books, you mean.”  Her voice echoed from the mug of beer in her hand.

“Yeah, yeah, whatever.”

I glanced at the time on my phone and noticed how late it was getting.  Although Mags and I had been friends for years, I wasn’t comfortable having her over for the night, especially since she was a fan of Mark’s.  I knew she would be on her best behaviour if she was sober, but there was no telling how she would be in this current state of mind.  Besides, we were just getting to know each other again.

“Let me call you a cab. Sorry, but it’s time to kick you out.” I told her, though not unkindly.

“Sure, no problem!” Mags swaggered over to where I sat and planted a sloppy kiss on my forehead. “Missed you a lot, girly.”

I got to my feet and hugged her tightly.  “Missed you more,” I replied with a small smile.

Soon enough, the cab was here and I sent my old friend on her way.

After Mags was gone, it was suspiciously quiet in the building.  I had expected Mark to stay downstairs and have a casual drink with Wade, Tom, Ricky, Tony, Zombie and Latin, trying to catch up.  But there was no laughter, no talking… no noise of any kind.  Maybe they went out for a drink, I told myself.  Shrugging my shoulders, I didn’t think twice about it.