Chapter 12

Magnus and Alec sat at the table for hours. They talked about everything and nothing. Magnus heard the story of how Lydia and Alec met, and his version of how they begun dating.

It was clear that Lydia never had shared the real reason with him. Alec believed that it was friendship that grew to something more. He explained that she was there for him when he had bad days with his father, but he didn't tell the details about it.

He told Magnus that he realized how much she meant to him, when she was by his side through all of that. But he never used the words "fall in love". He didn't even use the word "love" at all.

Magnus knew that Lydia had to come clean about the reason she started dating him at some point. But not yet. He was still too fragile. Right now he wouldn't see it as a friend helping him. He would see it as a betrayal. He had to become stronger and more aware of who he was before he could know anything.

When they had finished dinner, they took the conversation over to the couch. Alec sat with one leg curled up on the couch and his arm on the back. Magnus sad cross-legged facing Alec.

"Won't you tell me about you, Magnus? I hardly know anything?"

Alec looked curious at him while taking a sip of his third beer.

"There is not much to tell Alexander."

"Tell me anyway."

Magnus sighed silently. He had tried to avoid the subject, but he also wanted to show Alexander that he wanted to share things with him, so he pulled out the memories he had tried to forget for so long.

"Well... my story isn't a good story. When I was a child my mother committed suicide. She had schizophrenia and the voices had told her I was a demon child and there were no way to escape but to take her own life. Or at least that is what I have been told that the note she left said."

Alec shuffled a bit closer to Magnus. He felt the urge to hold his hand or at least do something, but he didn't know what to do, so he just listened instead.

"I spend three days in the kitchen with my dead mother before my first-grade teacher found me. She had noticed that I hadn't been to school and she came to see if I was sick. I will never forget her. She was a strict woman, but she was kind and loving too. She was that kind of teacher that you didn't want to disappoint.

She took me in while social services tracked down my father whom I had never met. I stayed with her for 14 days. That was the best time of my life. I was safe. Loved. Cared for. Everything I had never been before."

Magnus smiled at the memories, before sorrow filled his eyes.

"After those two weeks my father came to get me. It didn't take long for me to realize he was a conman. And he trained me in the skills of deceiving. All through my teens I conned along side my father. We fooled innocent people into giving us money and the stuff we needed. And for a long time I dint care. Until one day I had enough."

Alec stared mesmerized by Magnus' story. He almost held his breath. He couldn't believe that Magnus had been raised to live as a criminal. And still have turned out to be this loving and devoted person.

"I broke all ties to my father. I told him that if he ever tried to contact me, I would testify against him. I never heard from him again and I found a way to use my powers for good instead."

He winked at Alec who was too stunned to respond.

"I used my skills to become the fabulous actor I am today. If I should say so myself."

Magnus tried to use his sense of humor to lighten to mood, but it didn't quite go as planned. Alec just sat there. Staring.

Magnus suddenly got nervous that Alec would kick him out. He had never spoken off this before, and now he truly feared Alecs reaction.

Magnus could see the way the information sunk in and Alec swallowed a couple of times before being able to speak.

"That is a heartbreaking story. I'm so sorry you had to go through that."

Alec reached over and squeezed a surprised Magnus' hand. He hadn't expected that.

"That's it? You are not going to judge me?"

Alec looked straight into his eyes.

"I think I have judged you enough for a lifetime. I won't ever do it again." Alec brushed his thumb over the back of Magnus' hand before letting go.

It was such a quick, light touch that Magnus wasn't even sure it had happened.

"I think it's about time we go to bed. We've got an early day tomorrow, Magnus."

Alec stood up and smiled at Magnus before going to the bathroom to get ready for bed.

Magnus brushed his fingers over the spot where the sense of Alecs touch still lingered.

He smiled by himself before making his way into the bedroom.

When Alec came out of the bathroom Magnus were already under the covers. On the mattress on the floor. Alec felt himself get disappointed. He had kind of hoped Magnus would sleep in the bed. It wouldn't be the first time.

But he didn't know how the ask for the things he wanted. He never had.

So he got into the bed and fell asleep without saying a word.