Chapter 14: A Broken Spirit

As time goes on, everyone sleeps soundly through the night. Zatel, Rio, and Terra are sound asleep until the faint scent of food hits their face. Rio lifts his head up while sniffing the air with his eyes closed.

"Something.... Smells good..." Rio starts tossing around in the bed until he accidently hits Zatel in the shin with his leg.

"Owwww....Rio... what's the deal?" Zatel slurs waking up to sudden pain.

"I'm hungry.... Trying... to.... wake... up." Rio falls off the side of the bed with a thud.

"Then why'd you kick me...?" Zatel slowly opens his eyes while trying to push himself up into a sitting position, only to fall down on the bed again.

"I'm... sorry. I just..." Rio sniffs the air again taking in the sweet aroma. "Smell...."

"You... smell? Did... you... have another nightmare?"

"No, no.... Something... smells good." Rio slowly starts to stand up, almost falling again before catching himself on the nearby desk. After getting his footing, he takes some steps until he reaches the end of the desk. Rio then tries to walk to the door only to start falling forward, reaching out Rio miss's the doorknob, hitting the door right in the face the door swings open as Rio continues falling face first onto the floor with his head out the door. "Uggggh....."

"Rio... wait... I can't walk... without you." Zatel says pushing himself up, despite some pain from his chest he swings his legs from the covers and over the side of the bed. Rio slowly pushes himself up.

"FOOOOOOOD!"

"Rio... your... sounding like... a zombie."

"It... smells soooo... Goooooood!" Rio finally stands up with the help of the wall and makes his way over to the kitchen, leaving Zatel sitting on the bed. He reaches the end of the hallway, then looks into the kitchen to see Margaret cooking some eggs and bacon. Margaret notices Rio, them takes the eggs and bacon off the frying pan and onto a plate beside the stove.

"Glad to see you're up. Breakfast is almost done, although, where's Zatel? Shouldn't he be awake if you're awake?" Margaret asks slightly confused. A loud moan is heard down the hallway.

"RIO.... Help.... I can't.... Get up...." Caesar sets down the TV remote and looks down the hallway, looking past Rio and staring at where Zatel's voice came from.

"Did the two of you stay up late?" Caesar questioned. "Let me promise you, staying up late is not a good idea." Rio shakes his head.

"No.... we didn't.... Just really... sore." Another moan is heard from Zatel. "Coming..." Rio starts walking back to the door getting halfway, before losing his footing and falling forward with his head landing right outside the door. Looking over Rio notices Zatel on the ground as well, with his chest to the floor and his head somewhat turned to the side. Rio then looks back at Ceaser and Margaret. "A.... Little help please..." Caesar sighs, then stands up.

"Sure, just let me get some updog." Caesar starts to approach Rio with a spray bottle labelled updog, then leans down next to Rio showing him the spray bottle.

"Whats.... updog?" Rio asks raising his head to look at Ceaser. Zatel chuckles a little.

"Not much, now come on, get updog." Caesar starts spraying Rio with cold water directly onto his face

"WAAAA!" Rio bolts up while wiping his face with his paws trying to get the water off him. "IT'S SO COLD!" Caesar laughs a little bit, standing up and still spraying Rio with the bottle.

"Come on, no time to be a Drowsy. Get your friend, get your breakfast. It's that simple." Rio huffs looking at Caesar annoyed, as his face is all wet, and weighing the fur on his face down, making him look like a sad puppy.