Chapter 2: An Unlikely Duo

As Zatel was going back into Sandgem town, he started to approach the Pokémon Center just as the doors were opening. Coming out was Terra, holding both his pokéballs before putting them back in his bag. Looking up, he saw Zatel approaching and groaned in exasperation.

"And here I thought I could have a moment of peace and quiet." Terra muttered under his breath. He then spoke up to where Zatel could hear him. "What are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be frolicking around catching Pokémon?"

"Yeah, that didn't go so well." Zatel responds walking up to nurse joy, Zatel lifts Rio and Turtwig up. "Could you make sure they're in top shape Nurse Joy?" Zatel asks.

"Sure thing." Nurse joys smiles taking Rio and Turtwig, at first Rio looks back worried, until Zatel nods his head.

"You'll be fine Rio. Nurse joy is an expert at taking care of Pokemon." Zatel calms Rio's fears as he turns to Terra. "So, what do you plan on doing now?" Terra looks back at Zatel, still irritated slightly.

"What's it matter to you? It's not like we're travelling together."

"Why not? You know how to battle, and I know how to raise and take care of them." Zatel says, leaning on the counter. "You can help me learn how to battle, and I can help you take care of your Pokémon." Terra turns to face Zatel completely with a blank face.

"Really? You're pulling this card on me?" Terra lets out a sigh, looking at Zatel with a slightly stern face. "Even if I wanted to learn how to take care of my Pokémon, there's no use if they don't get hit to begin with." Zatel gets a confused look.

"Isn't that exactly why you need to learn how take care of them in the first place? We're bound to get into bad situations. What would you do if you got lost in a forest and attacked by some Tyranitar, with you and your Pokémon being wounded badly." Zatel stands up getting serious as he gives a scenario. Terra scoffs as he turns and folds his arms.

"Please, I don't get lost. And any Pokémon that so much as crosses me is gonna get what's coming to them."

"Yeah, what you going do? Break your knuckles on his rock-hard shell?" Zatel counters. Terra looks at Zatel irritated.

"You're mocking me."

"I'm not mocking you. Just trying to help you think realistic here. I may be no good at battling yet, but I do know when to quit. And admit my defeat." Zatel states clearly trying to convince him to let him tag along. Terra growls softly as he narrows his eyes at Zatel.

"Careful what you speak, or you just may find more than just words in this conversation." Terra threatened. "Besides, I don't need anyone else."

"Woah." Zatel shouts getting a little defensive. "Didn't mean to offend you. I just don't want to journey this adventure on my own." Zatel says being sincere. "I can cook you meals. I also know some good recipes for Pokémon food." Terra blanked out for a second while staring at Zatel, then let out a sigh as he shut his eyes and turned around.

"Fine. But if you slow me down, so help me I'll leave you behind."

"Awesome! You won't regret it!" Zatel smiles happy that he accomplished his goal.

"I already am." Terra muttered to himself once more.

"Alright your Pokémon are fighting fit." Nurse joy comes from the back and sees Zatel and Terra. "Oh, was I interrupting something?" Nurse joy asks as Rio jumps out of her hand, and onto Zatel's back pushing him forward as Turtwig just sits on the counter waiting.

"Zatel!" Rio says jumping forward.

"Not again," Zatel mutters as he stumbles forward. "Warn me please we've been over this Rio."