Two Croissants

Aside from Kaname landing the shoe endorsement, he also bagged one from a fast-food chain. I was very happy to see that he has found his calling and that slowly but surely, his career was becoming stable. Although this blessing meant less time together as the both of us started to get extremely busy with our respective jobs, Kaname and I still made it a point to make time for each other. We made sure to always have breakfast and dinner together and he also promised to be around during my appointments with the doctor.

Due to the great difference in technology, Kaname got even more interested and involved in my pregnancy. Whenever he has the time, he would read about babies and watch every video related to it that he could find. His interest was so that he’d sometimes come home bringing fruits and some random food he claimed would be good for me and our babies. There were also times when he’d beat mum into answering my questions, during which he’d inadvertently remind me of the class genius who knew the answer to every question he encountered.

Four weeks had already passed since my pregnancy was confirmed, making me already two months pregnant. Unlike when I was still in the ooku where I breezed through the awful bits the first trimester brought, I had a much more unpleasant case of hormones going haywire this time. I almost always had severe headaches and I couldn’t seem to keep my food down because my morning sickness was the worst. I always felt fatigued at the end of the day and my mood swings got the best of me. My husband usually got the short end of the stick because of it, thankfully he understood and didn’t take the effects of my raging hormones seriously.

“I made you some ginger tea,” Kaname said as I rinsed my mouth for the nth time that day.

It was a national holiday so I didn’t have to work. He, on the other hand, had to shoot a TV commercial. I caught his gorgeous reflection on the bathroom mirror and couldn’t help but give him a sullen and resentful look. I was feeling like hell but he looked perfect and immaculate, it wasn’t fair.

“You should drink it now while it’s still warm,” he added when I didn’t say anything. “I guarantee you’ll feel better afterwards.”

“Don’t you have a shoot at ten? You should leave now,” I replied with my eyes closed, I was fighting another wave of nausea.

“But your tea—“

“Just leave it in the nightstand and go, anata.” I was getting irritated now.

I heard him sigh before his footsteps told me that he did as I told him. I gripped the corners of the lavatory sink tightly as guilt flooded my systems, I know I was being a total bitch to him but I couldn’t help it. I was feeling so awful and tired, anger seems to be the easiest way to bear with it. I focused on my breathing to calm both my emotions and stomach, I barely had any appetite lately and I didn’t want to vomit again. I was chanting ‘don’t vomit’ in my head when I suddenly felt my hair being swept up and tied into a bun. After which, a soft towel dabbed on the beads of sweat on my forehead and nape.

I slowly opened my eyes and weakly asked, “Why haven’t you left yet?”

“Do you think I can work properly after seeing you like this?” Kaname asked as he continued to get rid of the sweat on my body.

I bit my lower lip as guilt bubbled up inside me again. Our eyes met and he gave me a soft smile. Just like that, my eyes welled up with tears.

“What’s wrong?” he unfolded the face towel and gently pressed the dry part on the rims of my eyes.

I shook my head in answer and just hugged him. His love and patience for me was too much for me to handle at the moment…

“Close your eyes and I’ll carry you to bed,” I heard him say before he lifted me up. I shut my eyes tightly, fearing another wave of nausea. He gingerly placed me on the soft mattress then once again offered me the drink he made. “Drink this now.”